• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding Monitors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd just like to add my two cents of warning for people wanting to work inside their monitor without the proper knowledge and training.

In '91 I used to work fixing broken pc's and once had a monitor I was working on, fry the digital multimeter in my hand. It actually fried the multimeter so bad, the plastic around the center switch dial actually melted in less than a second. Yes, the monitor was off and no, it was not connected to a power source and had been sitting on shelf since the day before, waiting to be looked at.

Needless to say, I'm not sure if I got a bigger shock from the monitor's stored charge or the patially melted dead multimeter in my hand.

Anyway... I learnt a lesson that day I have never forgotten and personally have no intention of ever fiddling around inside a monitor myself again.

an actual moniter mod

hey there,

I had a friend that I helped do a job with a few years back. Man... I was only 16 then... wow! Anyway, We took the moniter out of it's shell and had a nice wooden box made out of oak ready for it (to match the oak computer case), all we did was drop all the insides to the inside of the box. Voila, that was it.

Also, I've taken apart moniters easily on my own. Just so long as you think about what your touching you don't have a problem, you don't touch things that look like they could be holding an electrical charge, even I don't like the smallest of zaps, so really, just think about what your touching...

If your interested about what I was doing to the moniter that I tore apart I have a post in here somewhere about a TV Tuner replacement.

And for interesting effects of monitors:

I was attempting to fix my parents' TV. I still had the back panel off it because I wasn't sure if I was done or not. Apparently I missed connecting some wire because when I hit Power on the remote it made a loud pop. It worked fine once I found the loose wire.

That pop also caused the computer in the same room to reset.

What about removing the cover and making your own plexi-glass cover? Just a thought anyone tried it? how it turn out? post pics

constant_hi said:
What about removing the cover and making your own plexi-glass cover? Just a thought anyone tried it? how it turn out? post pics

Hey, that is a cool idea.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

CrystalMethod said:
I'm surprized no one has ever thought to wear gloves to insulate themselves while working with components that could potentially shock them.

Even if you use High Voltage, Class I, Type 1 rubber gloves (the highest protection rating for rubber gloves for electrical protection), they have a breakdown voltage rating of only 10,000 volts. Since the voltage in monitors can be significantly greater, rubber gloves would not afford any protection.

It is far more effective and safe to de-energize a source rather than rely on protective equipment.

I work inside monitors all the time.

While they are switched on.

Its my job.

Just be careful what you touch.

Ive been hospitalised.

My colleague was killed.

Mike

I got this idea from another site(I belive anyways LOL. not sure. it was a while ago). that I know of no one has ever done it.

Basicly it is a lcd moniter/case mod. if you wanted you could take the case off of the lcd moniter. but on the left side of the case cut a hole the size of screen and if needed holes for buttons, somehow attach the lcd moniter to the side of the case. then get the cables for the moniter to the outside of the case however you want. make storage for your mouse/keyboard somewhere on the case. and you are done.

One thing would be having a case large enough and having the moniter hitting any cards.

btw I pretty much created the instructions myself so if I left something out I am sorry.

Hrmm. my first post on these forums. heh. I have been reading posts for a year or two now but I just now finnally got an account :)

Just remember physics class -

Capacitors, no matter how small, can be deadly. The energy stored is released at once, kinda like a water dam

Kinda make sence?

Anyway - what if you just removed the shroud on the monitor, and painted it seperately?

Back