• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modding the Dell!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

notasparagus

Well, I keep looking at all these really cool modded cases, and I want to get into some of this. However, my parents won't let me get a new comp. So, I pulled off a few mods on my dell and it looks pretty sweet My next project is to repaint it so there are no traces of the dell.

Below are links to the partially finished case.

Pic #1
Pic #2
Pic #3 (Warning: larger)

OP
notasparagus

notasparagus

Annoyingrob said:
Keep in mind that the standard dell cases have a textured finish, you should sand it as flat as you can get it unless you want your paint job textured too.

Yea, I will have to do a LOT of sanding to get this thing reflective.

r0yal`

Registered
Yes...What Kind Of L.E.D's did you use?? they are bright as hell... heh, and how did u wire them up etc etc...

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
r0yal` said:
Yes...What Kind Of L.E.D's did you use?? they are bright as hell... heh, and how did u wire them up etc etc...

Piece of cake.

Supplies

- 470ohm resistors
- 22gauge wire
- wired Molex connector
- 2.5v LEDs

There are plenty of guides online. But I suspect he had to unsolder a green LED on the stupid PCB thing in the front of that case in order to switch it.

My mom has a similar machine and it's always giving me and itchy modding finger. The only thing I've done to it is I removed some the the plastic from the rear of the side panel to allow me to open the side panel without unplugging it.

Docta_Z

I used 3.7 Volt LED's, 270 OHM 1/2 W resistors and plain CPU power cords, I just used red and black instead of yellow and black so I was hittin the 5 volt line not 12 volt.

OP
notasparagus

notasparagus

Slug was sort of on track, however I did it a little diferrent. I used superbright red LED's from allelectronics.com (the 5mm variety) I also got some clear light diffusers. I wired them in series, as a guide Mpegger posted in another post I made said to due so. So, I went with 2v for the red LED's (as that is what the guide recommended) I then decided to run them off the 5v line of a molex connector, so I used a led calculator to find the right resistor, which was 56 ohm.

After all the prep was done, I epoxied the light diffusers to the front of the case (as you can see in the pic). Then I just wired up the leds as I said above. Just be careful when you are figuring out the right values, as it is really easy to mess up (I went through 3 resistors before I got it right) Below are links you might find useful. Happy modding!

Led Calculator: http://www.bit-tech.net/article/68/

Earlier thread: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137311

Led guide: http://misty.com/people/don//ledd.html

Allelectronics: http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=340500&item=LED-94&type=store

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! It is about time I started helping instead of the other way around. ;)

KiKaL

LoL my mom has that case. I never even though about modding that thing.

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
KiKaL said:
LoL my mom has that case. I never even though about modding that thing.

GASP!! You haven't truly converted until every computer you've come in contact with secretly wispers to you alone...

"Mod me! You know you want to..."

OP
notasparagus

notasparagus

Captain Slug said:

GASP!! You haven't truly converted until every computer you've come in contact with secretly wispers to you alone...

"Mod me! You know you want to..."

ROFL! So true....

I am starting to eye my printer, the leds are soooooo boooorrrrrinnngg (i.e. not bright)