• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moded another HD, Pic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mark620

I modified another hard drive. This one was much easier than the first. The original cover used a piece of Aluminum(Aluminium) tape to seal the cover. I used the same material - Aluminum Duct Tape cut into thin strips, I used 2 pieces because of the large gap. In the picture it looks white because of the paper towel. In the dirve is a WD Caviar 2700 same construction as the WD 2635 in the picture. I have done a low level format and installed an OS on the drive......

Dscf0434A.jpg

Last edited:

FunkDaMonkMan

i just don't see the picture.... no x or anything...

Anyway... how new are these HDD's? Are they modern or old clunkers you are just toying with.

KnowlesTech

I want to be a Beta Tester
Mark, I am not seeing exactly what you did, is it a clear top? Hard to tell, please let me know what you did as I have 26 HDs I am modding.. see my post "HD MODS EXTREME, PLEASE" and let me know how you did both drives. I have the same purpose as you to get really good at it until I can do Newer HDs wihtout a problem.

OP
Mark620

Mark620

It has a Plexi top/cover on it. I just removed the original cover, cut a plexi to size, drilled screw holes and put the plexi on. left about 1/4" gap all the way around and I put 2 layers of Aluminum tape over that. BTW a led mod on this drive would be easy...

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
it looks like it's done so well that no one can see the plexi :eek:

OP
Mark620

Mark620

This picture should help: I measured the gap it is 3/16" and the tape is 7/16" tall. Like I said it is put from the top edge of the plexi to the spot where the bottom edge of the original tape was.

You can see the tape on the drive on the right on my original post. It is the grey stripe. This is how WD seals their drives! I have a 8.? GB that is seald the same way.

The thing on the left of the original picture is a photo copy of the drive before I started so I can identify it later.

Dscf0434A.jpg

http://users.domaindlx.com/Mark620/Dscf0434A.jpg

bubba gump

Wow, damn nice job bro, int he first pic he was right..i couldnt see the plexy =o

So is the plexi in securely? Does it rattle at all? That would kill a mod to an hdd :(

I imagine it doenst rattle, but just wondering anyway :)

OP
Mark620

Mark620

KnowlesTech said:
how, I have two drives like that ready to go already

There is a drive access led port on the end of the drive.:cool:

Edit: I just noticed the WD Caviar 2635 does not have the led access but the WD Caviar 2700 does and so do my three WD Caviar 1425's. On the Circit board the spot is labled "J4" and Pin "1" is on the left as viewed from the bottom with the main connecters away from you. The 2635 has the circutry but not the push in connector for the led. Wierd Older and the newer models had it but not the one in the middle.:eek:

Last edited:
OP
Mark620

Mark620

bubba gump said:
Wow, damn nice job bro, int he first pic he was right..i couldnt see the plexy =o

So is the plexi in securely? Does it rattle at all? That would kill a mod to an hdd :(

I imagine it doenst rattle, but just wondering anyway :)

Yes it is held in securely, It has 5 screws in it.:) The tape is just to cover the 3/16" gap, I used 2 layers for durability.:)