• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modems, modems, modems... Help me with my cable modem!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

SO i recently picked up a Tp-Link Archer Cr700 not cheap by any means... Anyways... called TWC had them activate my modem etc.. went to do some port forwarding and boom my modem locks up.. im thinking its a fluke... couple more atempts now im pissed.. Call up Tp-Link they are like sounds like you got a bad modem.. So i contact amazon, amazon sends me out a new one.. no big deal.. I plug it in (before TWC did anything) click the Port forwarding, and boom im able to set my ports. So im like cool... Call up TWC, boom there goes my port forwarding again, cant do it. TWC says its a tp-link thing, tp-link says its a TWC thing. There is a newer version of Firmware available for the modem but TWC wont push it out for what ever the reason is..

Anyways so now im debating... just return the modem and pick up something else that works (if so what would you recommend) Or do i pester TWC into trying to push the new firmware and see if that fixes the problem?

Guess i should add: I picked this modem because it has the ability to plug a N.A.S. Drive in and a Printer via USB, so i dont have to have my pc on all the time.. And the NAS could store just photos and such as a cloud storage device for our phones... then later i back up up on my server.

Last edited:

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
I never recommend combo modem and routers. Return it, get a Motorola surfboard (sb6141, 6183, 6190 depending on your future speed desires) and a dedicated router. The Archer c7 is quite popular if you want to stay with tp link. Asus routers have the same features you are looking for, as does my net gear nighthawk r7000 iirc.

trents

You're expecting Time Warner to push out firmware update to a third party modem/router that you bought? I think you'll wait along time. That's something you need to do yourself.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
You're expecting Time Warner to push out firmware update to a third party modem/router that you bought? I think you'll wait along time. That's something you need to do yourself.

That's not really true, ISPs that I've ever had to deal with send out the necessary firmware to allow the modem to connect to their network and occasionally provision a new firmware that has bug fixes that went through their testing process.

OP
TransformedBG

TransformedBG

Tp-link doesnt allow for it. :( ive tried.

Now im just debating...
Just Use my exsisting wireless G network in my house purchase a ARRIS SURFboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem and Ubiqiti wireless N access point... then do everything else the old fashion way ie print server etc.

or

trying the Nighthawk

trents

TP-Link doesn't allow for it? How so? I've got a C9 TP-Link router and I have upgraded the firmware more than once.

OP
TransformedBG

TransformedBG

TP-Link doesn't allow for it? How so? I've got a C9 TP-Link router and I have upgraded the firmware more than once.

cant find the firmware update anywhere or how to... if you have an answer please help!

OP
TransformedBG

TransformedBG

Yeah, they had me exchange the modem in the first place. Like I said time Warner Cable says it a tp link thing tp link season it a time Warner Cable thing. When I call either help desk I get put in a loop. I guess I'm just Gunna send this one back to amazon and pick up just a modem. I just loved not having multiple devices.