• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modifying a swiftech 462

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blokhead

I just got a 462a for use with t-bird 1.2. I noticed that the pins are pressed in to the copper base, which shears off some of the pin. wouldn't it be better to pull all the pins out, heat the base with a small flame(not too hot),cool the pins in freezer,or dry ice, and then drop pins backin? If you stick the top part of pin in hole it still has the original diameter and would be a much tighter fit, with supposidly greater heat transfer..
just thought i'd throw that out there for some opinions,thanks.

blockhead...not quite sure what you mean about some of the pin being sheared off? Do you mean the pin does not make complete contact w/ the copper base?

From what I've heard, the MC462 is absolutely stellar for overclocking in its stock form...some would say...MOD IT!!! I would say...use it in stock form and see how happy you are...check your temps....then decide if you want to modify or take it apart and reassemble.

Matteo, since the hole is slightly smaller than the pin and harder,some al. is scraped off as it is pushed in. I just want to try and get perfect contact between the two metals. sorry, but i just can't help myself when it comes to trying to improve things,even if they are the best!

I have two MC-462A units. I extracted all the pins from one unit. Yes the perimeter of the aluminum pins shear a little bit during press fitting. Of greater concern is the fact that under every pin is a small area in the bottom of the holes where the pins do not insert far enough to occupy. IE there is a small air bubble under the base of every pin. The HSF performs amazingly well, considering these small air bubbles, but it makes me wonder if they could be even better if the pins were in contact with the entire surface area of the hole. Right now, I am working on a long-term experiment of substituting copper-clad aluminum pins for the all aluminum pins. The hypothesis behind this is the fact that the area of the pins, where they contact the copper base, being copper clad, will benefit from less thermal resistance, yet the aluminum core will allow them to give up the heat without as much of a fight like you would see if the pins were solid copper.
The pins I am using are tapered on the ends to confirm exactly to the form factor of the holes, so that when inserted, they touch more of the surface area in the holes. Along with this shape factor, each pin has its inserting end tip dipped in Arctic Silver. As busy as I am right now, this will take some time to consummate, but I expect to be done by mid-summer.
Here is a cut-away of these special pins.

Hoot

Hmmm.... Im wondering if this could be part of my problem -re the 60'c true load temp with the MC462.

When I received the MC , one of the pins was loose - and when I pressed it in with AS epoxy it slid in easily to the exact height as the others.

I am very interested in how you get on with this mod, I may try pressing the pins in further , the next time its out of my rig. Just need to find a couple of thick steel plated to use along with some clamps.

what I also notice is that the alloy pins are NOT too hot , whilst the copper base is very hot - surely this indicated bad thermal transfer ? Mine is a revision 1 btw.

mj

mj, I can't comment on the high temps,but when i got my MC462-BA(no fan) one of the pins was bent. i tried to straighten it and it came loose so i flipped it over and tapped it back in w/hammmer. it wouldn't go in any farther than the other ones so i think there all in as far as they'll go. Hoot is right though, the pins don't make complete contact on the very bottom. i can't wait to see how his copper clad pins work out.

Back