• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Molecular processing : The Future of PC processors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Suppressor1137

I just got done reading this article and was fascinated by this.

Currently, we are having some serious difficulty shrinking the die of our CPU's due to quantum electron interference. That is to say, electrons like to...errm...go somewhere else? So we have a kind of packet loss of current as we get smaller and smaller.

So basically, some guys managed to create a transistor gate that "reads" those dropped electrons and triggers, If that understanding is correct.

If this sort of technology can be used, we are talking significant boundary removals for transistor density and count, as well as a drastic drop in voltages necessary. The reduced voltages mean the chip would need significantly less power to run and would generate far less heat; This is like an overclockers wet dream!

There is a lot of technical jargon along with complex mathematical equations in here, you have been warned!

I figured I just share this with the community.

Back