• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mom and Mother in law budget build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Buying used parts is a craps shoot. In such a case, your Mom's machine may work great but the M-i-L's machine will be on the fritz all the time. It stops being equal and you will build tension into your life. Or worse, neither machine works for crap and they both hate you forever, you have to get a divorce and loose half your kids but you keep the stinking dogs and your Mom writes you out of the will and tells you that your were "adopted anyway so stop calling"....

Don't buy used. Build yourself is fine but used from eBay is probably not the best choice. Just a thought.

Maybe that's just me though. I'm sure you weren't adopted... or... if you are... I'm sure your Mom loves you.... ..... .. .

Sorry. What were we talking about?

The last one on the list at Amazon would require choosing a memory package and a storage package so the $399 price tag is deceiving. That was my original suggestion and I didn't notice that. Sorry about that. However, a client of mine just bought that one and I set it up for them. It's really an compact stylish and relatively quick machine.

You don't need any more RAM in any of those packages. 8 gb for that user base and what they do is plenty. So any of the options you listed would fit the bill very nicely. I still recommend going with a unit that has an SSD because that will make more difference in performance than any other variable with any of those systems for that user base. I would probably choose the machine in the second link.

The last one on the list at Amazon would require choosing a memory package and a storage package so the $399 price tag is deceiving. That was my original suggestion and I didn't notice that. Sorry about that. However, a client of mine just bought that one and I set it up for them. It's really an compact stylish and relatively quick machine.

You don't need any more RAM in any of those packages. 8 gb for that user base and what they do is plenty. So any of the options you listed would fit the bill very nicely. I still recommend going with a unit that has an SSD because that will make more difference in performance than any other variable with any of those systems for that user base. I would probably choose the machine in the second link.

Last question then before I chose. If I purchased an SSD, $25 on Amazon or so, would the "Acer Desktop Computer Aspire T TC-865-NESelecti5 Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8400 (2.80 GHz) 8 GB DDR4 1 TB HDD Intel UHD Graphics 630 Windows 10 Home 64-Bit" be better than the one you suggested in the second link "Acer Desktop Computer TC-780-NESelecti5 Intel Core i5 7th Gen 7400 (3.00 GHz) 8 GB DDR4 256 GB SSD Intel HD Graphics 630 Windows 10 Home 64-Bit"?

:)

For $25 you are probably talking about a 120 gb SSD which is very small. First of all, I doubt if your old folks need more storage than that and if they do I would go the other way, that is, buy the rig with the 256 gb SSD and add in a 1 TB spinner for less than $40.

Man, you are driving me nuts with your decision making struggle! The free world is not a stake here.

For $25 you are probably talking about a 120 gb SSD which is very small. First of all, I doubt if your old folks need more storage than that and if they do I would go the other way, that is, buy the rig with the 256 gb SSD and add in a 1 TB spinner for less than $40.

Man, you are driving me nuts with your decision making struggle! The free world is not a stake here.

No but he wants to make his Mom proud and is covering all his bases. Juan, you'll be fine. SSD, 8 GB RAM, small, new, simple; you're all good.

Thanks again for all the amazing words :).

@trents : you don’t even know the half of it. I have my realtor going crazy :/

@don256us : thanks for everything!!!

Back