• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

monitor cable repair.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

Ok heres the scoop. I have here my new lappy which kicks *** but I still want to use my desktop. problem is, my monitor (a 19" Dell from an old P2 333) 122H I think. the cable is breaking up inside and the green is nto showing on the screen unles i tape it over with duct tape into one position, this is starting to flicker in and out of w/green and wo/green modes now. so I want to fix the cable up long enough to at least last till nov 22 when I get my new 19" that i'm making my parents get me. I know where about in the cable (to the nearest CM) the break is, and i opened it up to find this braded metal mesh looking covering over the wires. i didnt do anything after that out of fear of totally killing it. how should i proceede? i can't lop it because the Dell cables are somehow different. Well I can lop it off and cut out the bad section, if it's color coated, i can cut thru this metal stuff, i will have to anyway, and re conect the damaged wire. or any other ideas? this monitor needs to work secondly becasue we have no monitor at our family cabin where the gateway monirot fried. the Dell P2 that this thing came from is down there.

Miknow

LOL! I have the same problem with my second comp, I have a sony 17 trinitron and its not showing white that well its like sorta green. Do what I would do take it to a tv repair shop and they will order a cable and switch it out for you

turd

Back when I was trying to make my own KVM switches and joining monitor cables I did cut open some monitor cables and splice in another cut male end with no problems. I have also repaired some monitor cords in my day, but it has been over five years since I went that route. You should be able put about a 2 inch slice up the side of the cable that you want to repair and peal to the side the insulation and metal braiding/wrap to get to the wires. Then you can just carefully place some heat shrink up one wire and splice in a new wire and solder and then insulate it and close it up. The problem you may run into would be if your break is too close to the plug. If that is the case you will need to secure the repair afterwards. I like taking some cardboard and taping it arounfd the repaired plug body to make a mold, then filling it up with RTV from the Auto parts store. Let it dry for about a week and then remove the cardboard.

OP
Intrepid

Intrepid

wel lthis monitor is 96/97 so it should be right up your alley. tthanks man, i'll get on it here soon. the break is real close to the base of the cable, but i doubt it will bem uch trouble i can easily insulate it and make a new covering out of some electrical tape or duct tape. does that metal wrapping serve any particular purpose?

OP
Intrepid

Intrepid

well i ended up haviong to cut out the section of cable that is right where the cable goes inside the omnirot, the hardest part to work with! i have an extention cord for my monitor so no worries about loosing 6 inches. I got it to work tho thats a bloody chineese miracle! well this thing is going to my family cabin where its gonna sit and not be moved again for another few yearts, prolly just sell it with the cabin when my parents sell it or me and my sister inherit it.