• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor doesn't recognize that computer is on until i restart it a few times

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kingdrastic1

Registered
Hi, so I've been getting this problem lately and i wanted to make sure it was fixed and wasn't causing any real damage to my system.
When i start my PC in the morning, My monitor light doesn't turn green but stays orange/yellow thus not recognizing the PC is on or connected?
I have to restart a couple of times manually via the power button until it eventually does recognize and the monitor light is green and it starts working.
Also I've noticed instead of holding the power button for it to restart, i simply press it once and it instantly turns off the PC, and then i proceed to put it back on and repeat this a couple of times until the monitor turns green and connects.

One more thing i'd appreciate help on is that whenever i start my PC, after I've gotten the monitor to recognize the PC, aka the green light on monitor is on, i get the 'CPU fan error' which i then press f2/del and go into BIOS, where i then boot into windows. The Fan error always occurs no matter what every morning when i put my PC on. I remember quite some time ago having this fan issue and fixing it but it came back, and i'm more concerned about the other issue.
I'm not sure if Dust has anything to do with it but my air duster(s) should be arriving any day now and i will thoroughly clean inside of my PC, maybe that will fix some issues, just looking for some clarification on these problems.
Any help is appreciated, Thanks.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
Hi there, can you please post all of your system specs?

It sounds like your computer isn't actually powering on fully when you try to start it (which explains why pressing the power button turns it off immediately).

I would check into the cpu-fan issue. Verify that your fan is plugged into the proper CPU fan header on the motherboard so that it is reading that it is spinning. Or otherwise disable the warning in the BIOS if your fans are plugged into a 4-pin molex or something.

May want to try doing a BIOS/CMOS reset to see if that helps resolve anything as well.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Some specs on your PC would help a lot. It almost sounds to me like the PC is resetting the bios. Is it overclocked at all? Did you set the fan to ignore in the past to fix the warning?

trents

This sounds like either a motherboard or a PSU problem but we do need to know more about your system.

Is this a mass produced from the factory computer or a custom built unit? If the former, make and model would be helpful and also to know if you've added any components such as a video card.

If a custom built PC we need to know information like the make and model of the motherboard, the CPU and the graphics card; the make and wattage of the PSU, and how much memory you have installed.

OP
K

kingdrastic1

Registered
Hi there, can you please post all of your system specs?

It sounds like your computer isn't actually powering on fully when you try to start it (which explains why pressing the power button turns it off immediately).

I would check into the cpu-fan issue. Verify that your fan is plugged into the proper CPU fan header on the motherboard so that it is reading that it is spinning. Or otherwise disable the warning in the BIOS if your fans are plugged into a 4-pin molex or something.

May want to try doing a BIOS/CMOS reset to see if that helps resolve anything as well.

Yes and sorry for the late reply, i had to take care of something irl.

Evga 600w Bronze power supply
Evga nvidia geforce gtx 780
Cooler master hyper 212 evo
Asus z87-a
i5-4670k
Corsair vengeance lowprofile 8gb

If I've missed anything, please say and i will add it.
Regarding the 'CPU Fan error', yesterday i went into my BIOS and turned the fan limit to 200 instead of it being around 600 since when i start my comp in the morning, the fan is roughly around 500 so i thought this would fix this issue. However today i still have this error and comp restarts itself instantly once and then comes on the 2nd time with the fan error where I've said i go into the bios and boot into windows. This leads me to believe that you're right about the 'CMOS resetting itself'. I believe all my parts are plugged in correctly as these errors didn't always occur.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you have your monitor connected?

Yes i've unplug and replugged the wires to monitor twice.
Today i didn't get the monitor error, however i'm still getting the comp restarting itself in the morning instantly and then me having the cpu fan error.
Edit: ah i misread, you want to know how i have it connected, well it's using the blue wires, nothings changed from before so yh... hopefully this error is fixed byitself since it didn't occur today.

- - - Updated - - -

Some specs on your PC would help a lot. It almost sounds to me like the PC is resetting the bios. Is it overclocked at all? Did you set the fan to ignore in the past to fix the warning?

Yes i have overclocked/underclocked occasionally using ai-suite. I know this is going to sound absurd but i've underclocked 'BCLK' for a certain reason and also OC'd the cpu ratio, sometimes both together. This maybe the root cause of the error but i have no idea. I do believe the pc is resetting the bios as yesterday i lowered the fan limit to 200 instead of 500 so the fan error wouldn't show up, however that limit is still 500 when i checked this morning after it restarted once instantly on startup by itself.

- - - Updated - - -

This sounds like either a motherboard or a PSU problem but we do need to know more about your system.

Is this a mass produced from the factory computer or a custom built unit? If the former, make and model would be helpful and also to know if you've added any components such as a video card.

If a custom built PC we need to know information like the make and model of the motherboard, the CPU and the graphics card; the make and wattage of the PSU, and how much memory you have installed.

Hi, please refer to my other reply for system specs, i ordered all parts from amazon and i built it at home with my cousin who used to repair comps in shop a year or so ago so i believe it did it all correctly.
I haven't changed anything, all my parts remain the same as when i bought them. I will add the make/model for motherboard/cpu now to my other reply.

Johan45

So have you tried leaving the BIOS at default (no OC) and does the problem recur? If it runs fine this way then there's nothing mechanically wrong most likely. Could just be you settings causing issue. Also Playing with AISuite in windows and not resetting to default before you shut down will cause the BIOS to reset. I use AISuite a lot in benching and have seen this many times.

OP
K

kingdrastic1

Registered
So have you tried leaving the BIOS at default (no OC) and does the problem recur? If it runs fine this way then there's nothing mechanically wrong most likely. Could just be you settings causing issue. Also Playing with AISuite in windows and not resetting to default before you shut down will cause the BIOS to reset. I use AISuite a lot in benching and have seen this many times.

I've never OC'd using the bios, always do it via Ai Suite iii. However before i switch off my pc, i always change settings to default in ai suite. The problem still occurs so i'm not sure what's going on there. I've definitely remember on a couple of occasions to make the settings default before i turn pc off at night and in the morning i still get the error/reset.
Only thing i can think of that isn't at default when before i turn my pc off and have changed the values to default is the group tuning/cpu ratio thing.
I believe not all my clocks are default at 42,4200? I tick group tuning and turn them to 4500, So at night when i reset them all to default, i can't change each core individually back to it's reset.
Here you can see in the picture, 42 > 45, i tick group tuning and when i put it back to 42 from 45 at night, the group tuning makes them all 42, however i'm guessing some of the cores weren't originally 42? This is the only difference i can imagine because i make sure everything else is turned back to default before i turn the pc off.
Sorry for the horrible grammar, hope you can understand. Pic related are the default settings when i first open aisuite.
fGscPb9.png

Johan45

Do us all a favour. Uninstall AISuite and see if the problem stops. If you need some tuning in BIOS we can help with that but AISuite can be really buggy. What OS are you using? Is it an upgrade to Win10 ?

OP
K

kingdrastic1

Registered
Do us all a favour. Uninstall AISuite and see if the problem stops. If you need some tuning in BIOS we can help with that but AISuite can be really buggy. What OS are you using? Is it an upgrade to Win10 ?

I'm using W7, i guess i can uninstall ai suite today and see what happens tomorrow.
Maybe i should get a new version of ai suite 3, this version is really old, came with the motherboard back in 2014.

Johan45

Have you ever updated the BIOS on the board or chipset drivers? Changing this while software like that is installed can make it act funny. I would suggest searching for your versions cleaner. Like AISuite III cleaner and get it from the ROG forums. It has a tendency to leave some really deep traces behind that can still haunt you. Do you know the version?

OP
K

kingdrastic1

Registered
Have you ever updated the BIOS on the board or chipset drivers? Changing this while software like that is installed can make it act funny. I would suggest searching for your versions cleaner. Like AISuite III cleaner and get it from the ROG forums. It has a tendency to leave some really deep traces behind that can still haunt you. Do you know the version?

All i know is the Ai Suite 3 version which is 1.00.56
i'm fairly sure it's an old version, no where near updated to the latest as this one came with my motherboard 2 years ago and i just stuck with it.
Also i haven't ever updated the BIOS. Chipset drivers? uhh don't think i have updated this either, and i will try and look for some cleaners from the forum u mentioned.