• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monitor Hz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bustos

Generally, yes. 1080 up to 25, 1440’s sweet spot is 27, 32 and higher is 4k. Again this is a generalization as each person’s eyes are different. I’d advise you to go to a store and check out the different sizes and resolutions in person.

Edit: I just realized you mean refresh rate, I assumed at 144Hz you are looking at a 1440 resolution monitor.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Size and refresh rate aren't really associated...

THat said, if you game and want less blurry 'action' then a high refresh rate monitor is the way to go. You need a good video card to drive the FPS so... there is that too.

What are your goals with the new monitor?

Last edited:
I agree with EarthDog, don't forget to take into consideration what you will be using it for. I can tell you, that if you plan to game on it, you will want a decent card to drive it.

I just upgraded from a 27" ASUS 60hz 1080P monitor to a G-Sync 27" Dell 144Hz 1440P monitor. My primary reason? Competitive gaming. G-Sync helped to reduce the horrible frame loss, which was the biggest difference out of everything.

I was running this on my 4GB GTX 960, until I realized that isn't an idea card to be running 1440P at, and I needed more VRAM. I upgraded to a GTX 1080 SC last week, which brought my frame rate back up, lessening the need for G-Sync.

Now, if I were staying at 1080P, but still going 144Hz, my GTX 960 would have been find. It's when jumping from 1080P to 1440P that the video card started to show it's capabilities, or rather, in-capabilities...

habbajabba

I personally never plan on 4K anything. Good 'ol 1080 even on a huge top of the line lg smart tv looks just fine. You want a huge screen go dlp. Remember some screens are not even worth buying much less looking at. The screen itself is more important than the difference between 1080 or 4k. Japan already has 8K which I will not be buying either. Though I do wish my stupid monitor had sync abilities whatever that's worth.
I should add the encoding of videos is also critical. If it is ripped or encoded badly no amount of resolution will change that. A std store bought dvd ripped with an 8pass cce will look better than the original disc will.

Last edited:

UltraTaco

^personal opinion.

I think 4k looks fantastic and is the future. Besides, what's dlp?

DLP stands for digital light processing and is a thing that projectors have. Issue with 4k right now is most are only 60hz. Anything more that 60hz 4k requires a mountain for GPU power currently aswell.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
Issue with 4k right now is most are only 60hz. Anything more that 60hz 4k requires a mountain for GPU power currently aswell.

LG OLEDs are native 120 Hz, but of course they're TV-sized. The input lag is double what a lot of "gaming" monitors are, too, but the pixel refresh time compared to a TN panel is like comparing an SSD to spinning rust.

If anybody starts offering them in PC sizes with better input lag (i.e. without all the post-processing options TVs have), that's what I'd get. Burn-in isn't really a concern if you just make sure to change what you're looking at occasionally.