• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More Cores? Can somebody explain this to me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CoreGamer

From what Im seeing here I find no reason to buy an expensive dual core processor. There has to be something im missing. Does having 2 Or more cores help? Are they faster? From what I hear single core processors still do better in gaming, but they cost alot more. Im upgrading to the new processors next year, but I just dont get the whole dual core thing, can somebody please explain it to me?

Burdman27911

Also keep in mind games are making the shift to multi-threading. Take the Unreal 3 engine for example. While we will probably not see a 2x increase in performance, it will take a good portion of the load off. Right now it seems that the gaming indrustry is leaning towards supporting the dual core move a little more. Also with DC you'll see a bit of increase anyway as the background stuff will be taken care of by the second core while at least the one core will be used to game.

As HBB (felt like calling you that, hUMANbEATbOX) said, many people do other things besides game, multitasking is where these procs shine. So it could be that DC's are not for you right now, but you will have to think what you want to get out of these things before you can just say one is better than the other.

3DFlyer

Banned
There's alot more than FPS games making the shift. Simulators have been multi-threaded the last couple of years, and F4:AF relies on multi-threading...it's killing me waitin gon Conroe...arrrrgh.

Earth to Intel...send me Conroe please. I will give you money...pl...please...s-s-send C-c-c-onroe...n-n-need more pow---er. Sys--tem is s-s-sstruggling.

(aw, and there is a critical error...user has no memory, but that's beside the point LMAO )

Dual cores are more efficient at these tasks, and the future is all dual core. It also allows the heat to be distributed over a broader area, and therefore can be cooled better. With the 65nm that Intel has now perfected we are already seeing this with the Pressler.

There is a slight hit on single-threaded apps, but it's not worth the hit in the multi-threaded apps anymore. The future is multi-threaded, Windows is coming out with an OS that is designed to take advantage of multi-core CPUs, and that's where we're headed.

It's like AGP/PCI-e. AGP's time has came and went, and now PCI-e is the newer better standard.

OP
C

CoreGamer

But how fast are they? Ive heard these things cant be overclocked more than 3.8, while a good Single core can do 4.xx Ghz

stang8118

CoreGamer said:
But how fast are they? Ive heard these things cant be overclocked more than 3.8, while a good Single core can do 4.xx Ghz

There's plenty of dual cores that are doing over 4ghz. Hell i believe Fishy has a dual core doing over 5ghz lol.

OP
C

CoreGamer

Alright, I just dont want to spend a load of cash on a dualy just to find out its as slow as a 300$ Less CPU

jcw122

Single cores out performing Dual Cores isn't true, DCs can run the game on one Core, and backround stuff...OS, etc, on the other core.

3DFlyer

Banned
CoreGamer said:

ES Pressler's have done 4.5 on stock voltage with stock cooling.

I just saw an Anadtech review for the 975x Asus board, and they did a 52% OC on one, and stated they are gonna give an in depth review soon on that CPU.

The 830's may not clock as high as the 6x CPU's, but with the right cooling they can get very close. The 9xx series are a new breed and are much better than the 830's, and the new Conroe when it comes out is pretty much gonna own the world when it comes out like the Pressler is about to. We only have a couple weeks left until release of the pressler series on the 27th, and my bet is the Asus boards will b released a short time before that.