• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More Fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mico

I plan on running 5 fans in my case, maybe 6 for a blowhole in the top. I was wondering where I need to look to how many my system will support. Do fans hook to the Mobo, or directly to PSU via molex connector? Can I create more connections from one PSU to use more fans?

sandman001

Just Freeze It
they hook up to the motherboard and the moles connectors.

If you run out of places for fans, cut more.

OP
Mico

Mico

Most likely. I will be running an AMD 2400+ tbred with a GF4 128 at 8 gig per second transfer.

sangapski

im have 5 case fans on my main rig
intakes:: 2 side (molex), 1 front (mobo)
exhaust:: 1 rear (mobo), 1 top (molex)

OP
Mico

Mico

I'll be running:
2 80mm intake in front
1 80mm intake in side
1 80mm exhaust in back
1 60mm exhaust in back

Again, I may add a 92mm blowhole in top if necessary.

james.miller

Mico said:
Most likely. I will be running an AMD 2400+ tbred with a GF4 128 at 8 gig per second transfer.

a 2ghz t/bred (xp2400) will not produce that much heat.

gf4 128? do you mean a geforce 4 128mb?

A friend of mine had a very similar system to that - 2.2ghz t/bred (xp2800+) and a gf4 ti4200 128mb. he only had one case fan. The current pc i am running has no case fans.

OP
Mico

Mico

Hmm...my friends case runs really hot with a 64mb geforce4 and he has to underclock his 2100+ to get the temps managable. He has to use it with the cover off and a box fan zip-tied to it.

FishDog3

Rather than focusing on bruit power to circulate your case air, focus on making every CFM count. Get all your cables totaly out of the way, duct your HSF air in from a opening in the side, and get all the grills out of the way of the case fans (they REALLY restrict air flow). Also remember that your power supply is probably going to have 2 80mm fans exausting. IMO you can get all the air flow you need with 1 80mm exaust, 1 80mm front intake, the PSU fans, and possibly a 80mm intake on the PCI/AGP slots if you duct your HSF and streamline your air flow.

Also if you do duct the HSF you either need to have negitive pressure in the case (in which case you should try and seal any opening you can find but the fan holes to limit dust intake, and finding a low restricting filter for the intake fans) or have another intake fan on the duct blowing air in to the HSF to help it deal with the positive pressure in the case.

OP
Mico

Mico

Okay. I will now run it with just the 80mm intake and exhaust, and I will be using an SK-7 with a Smart-Fan for HSF. I need some cheap fans that move air well, regardless of noise. ($5 or less if possible.)

Any suggestions are welcome please.

Last edited:

Bman1238

Disabled
Are you going to averclocking at all? If you are not, then all those case fans would be totally pointless. All you would really need is an intake and exhaust. With the SK-7, you could run the SF II at its lowest speed and it would cool it fine. The 2400+ only generates 54 watts of heat and has a maximum operating temp of 85c.

OP
Mico

Mico

I agree, now that I see your point :) But where can I get some good CFM fans that are cheap? (And loud, probably, but I don't care. It's all good. ^_^)

Hookem

SVC is a great place to buy fans... www.directron.com/ has a bunch of fans to...They had some 80m/m fans for .99 cents...I really would spend the little ole change and get me some Pansonic Panflo's...;)...and ditch the 60 for sure...:cool:

OP
Mico

Mico

Okay. Should I install this SK7 HS fan into my mobo or get a 3pin to 4 pin molex adapter and use the power supply?

Hookem

Since most motherboards will not post unless you have a aleast a sensor wire connected to the "cpu fan" header, I recommend using the 3 pin connector on the motherboard. I never connect any case fans to the motherboard...Never...You can get adapters that allow you to connect the sensor wire to the motherboard and split into a four pin molex connector if you are running some 80CFM Delta or crazy fan that draws way too much juice to be powered by the motherboard...;)