• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More help needed on vmod (again)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

keny

Is this correct area to be focusing on for this card, im not too sure, but it looks about right? if it is the correct chip, then which resistor is the core voltage controller, and which is the fb pin on the black chip, as im not sure because the datasheet has 2 listed as fb pins and being a noob i don't know which one is the one to use :confused: , i dont know if to hard mod it or to pencil mod it, if the pencil mod doesnt work then i will hardmod it:attn:

Attachments

• gpu fback.jpg
    gpu fback.jpg
    899.8 KB · Views: 250
Looks like both may be used. Measure FB1 and FB2 to GND. The lower resistance pin is the higher voltage output and is probably RAM volts. The higher resistance pin is lower voltage and hence probably core.
Are there inductors anywhere else on the card?

These are the only other two chips i can see on the board and all the power system seems to be at the same end as the first pic, i dont know if these help at all:salute:

Attachments

• gpu other end.jpg
    gpu other end.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 240
  • dvi end.jpg
    dvi end.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 200
The square chip on the left in the top pic is likely the core voltage controller.
What card is this? 8800GT?

Can you get me a good pic of that square chip?

The ISL chip is almost certainly for the RAM, it's more or less built for it.
The other chip will be core.

Sorry if the images are not the best but i only have a point and shoot with limited macro ability... is this the chip you are talking about?

Attachments

• core controller.jpg
    core controller.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 209
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7210348&postcount=56
http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/voltmods/124
I did the voltmods and did improve my results, but I didn't save the results. I kept improving until it died, but never saved screenshots for the better submissions. I am going to plug in the card and see if it has magically come back to life. I would show you the mods as I did them, but they have been removed. I think i may have baked the card, but I don't remember.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Look at the red dot in the picture of the vGPU mod. According to the thread at Techpowerup, the red dots in the pictures are the readouts. Set to 20 DCV and ground the back probe. :thup:

For some reason I never even saw that red dot (mr magoo) that reference is maybe before you're time chance lol

Done a quick test with a pencil mod and its almost impossible to control the voltage as it reads ~1.4v at the begining of the bench and fluctuates all over the place during the bench, all th way up to 1.6v+ :eek: so it looks like a hardmod is the only way to go with this

I strongly dislike pencil mods. Far too random.

It was so random to the amount of voltage it was sending the gpu, it was uncontrollable. I have just checked my trimmers and i only have 5 and 10k ones left :( looks like i will need to buy some more.

Can always peel 'em off the other cards, that's what I do when I run out if I need to get a mod done promptly.

Back