• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most annoying sound problem ever(crackling mostly with WOW)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhatTheSchmidt

When I use my headphones I get a background crackling when world of warcraft is maximized, if it's minimized it's fine. Also when I use my mic if it's maximized my mic broadcasts a lot of static/buzz w/e you want to call it. I have tried installing new sound drivers. New video drivers. Many different settings changes that I just can't remember them at all right now.

This isn't only related to WOW though but it's not really noticeable anywhere else. The only other way I can get the issue is by moving a firefox window very fast around the screen and it's pretty feint.

I have gone through many forum posts about it related to WOW and tried fixing those ways but none of them worked.

I have a gigabyte UD3R motherboard, windows vista 32 bit ultimate, ati 4830 gfx card.

I have no clue what is going on and everything I tried didn't fix it. It's gotta be something with like direct x or drivers of some sort but a lot of people get this and I couldn't find a concrete answer to it at all. People with XP have it as well...I think windows 7 even?

Anyone have any idea about this issue or how I can troubleshoot it?

Same issue with my AuzenTech HDA X-Mystique 7.1 Gold using on board now and its perfect

oh I'm using onboard btw, don't have a soundcard (have heard for most people that try different soundcard/onboard problem still persists)

Only thing I ever had similar to this was my Soundblaster X-FI XtremeGamer and there was a resource conflict between the Northbridge on my Motherboard and the PCI Sound Card I was (And still am using)

Although it only happened on my Nvidia 650i board in Battlefield 2142 of all things...as far as this goes I'm kind of drawing a blank but I'm still guessing its a resource/hardware conflict within the system itself, in which case you're kind of SOL.

the stupid thing is that so many people have this issue in WOW, and my mic(when wow is maximized) sounds awful, like a loud fan is going when I'm talking I'm told...

does it also slowly get a muted sound to it and then snap back some times to normal sound?

You listed everything except for the microophone or headset you're using! Is this mic is part of a headset? Is any of it USB powered or plugged in to USB ports or is it just plugged in to the 1/8" analog audio jacks for the onboard sound?

You listed everything except for the microophone or headset you're using! Is this mic is part of a headset? Is any of it USB powered or plugged in to USB ports or is it just plugged in to the 1/8" analog audio jacks for the onboard sound?

+1 for wondering what you are using.

I run a HDA X-Mystique 7.1 and, although I haven't played wow in a while, I have used a couple different usb mics when I did. I bought the card when it was brand new and pretty much impossible to find in the USA so I have seen it through 'hell and back.'

Let us know what you are running and we will help you as best we can.

Back