• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Most INFLUENTIAL Cases of ALL TIME

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh my God!!! who hasn't .. Well actually the Storm Scout was a Knock off of the Antec 900 and then from there it was about every case company imaginable including Rosewill that made a Storm Scout Copy. So would a knock off of a 900 be an influential Case or would it just be an evolution of the 900? That is my biggest question.

See, I don't see much correlation between the Storm Scout and 900. They have very different exterior, a very different interior, etc...

Don't think I'm arguing with you, just creating conversation and getting some reasons why you listed your choices :)

I had the antec version of the "cheiftech" case back in the day.. it was a beloved case and served me for about 4-5 years, went through several mods, including a complete de-rivet for a nice interior paint job :salute:

I had the antec version of the "cheiftech" case back in the day.. it was a beloved case and served me for about 4-5 years, went through several mods, including a complete de-rivet for a nice interior paint job :salute:

I found this out when I was looking for a good photo of the Dragon case, but it looks the the Antec version (the SX1040) may have actually been the original design, with Chieftec coping that. But it's a little hard to tell exactly when cases came out from almost 10 years ago >.<

I found this out when I was looking for a good photo of the Dragon case, but it looks the the Antec version (the SX1040) may have actually been the original design, with Chieftec coping that. But it's a little hard to tell exactly when cases came out from almost 10 years ago >.<

Well, you know it seems like i remember getting the case without doing much research.. and when the "cheiftech" ones got big.. I kinda remember thinking.. "meh.. copy cats".. but who knows? :shrug:

Being an old fart, my fave is still the AntecQ500 case.JPG . I still own one, modded inside and out, and it will fit a ton of drives.

I'm gonna have to agree with many on this one. The Chieftec Dragon series (and all the copycats) really were the most influential. I personally am still running mine. Sure, I've modded the heck out of it, but it serves me well to this day (to the point where I can't find any other cases that will tempt me away from it).

The big influences from this case are:
-lever detachable side panel
-very good air flow
-lever detachable drive cages
-huge aftermarket support (you could buy replacement side panels & front panels in every color imaginable
-while I'm thinking of it, you could buy this case in every color in the rainbow
-they offered the option of aluminum assembly

I'll agree that Antec as well was very influential. The 900 was the next step in evolution after the Chieftec Dragon IMO.

Oh and yeah, I owned the Antec Q500 as well. A beast. Literally was as heavy as one when loaded up too. It was wonderful having so much space though.

SqCDS.jpg.png

Chieftec Dragon case. I reckon this case was the most widely used case in the early 2000's. If you were building customer computers at the turn of the century, you had used a Chieftec Dragon case, or at least a clone of it. Every manufacturer had some form of it out on the market. Influential to the truest sense of the word.

Edit: I would hardly call the Silverstone Raven influential. While it is a nice concept, and I do like the Raven series, as well as the inverted Fortresses, for something to be influential, it has to influence something. No other (at least not many, if any at all) took the main aspect of the Raven, the inverted motherboard, and started to incorporate it into their cases. I think the word you're looking for, for the Raven, is "different". It didn't influence anything\anybody :)

Using this exact case in black right now, actually. Certain the most influential case in modern history. It was the base for the Xaser and Tsunami cases that were mega popular as well.

Last edited:
I have The Classic Alienware Case for my cousin AMD, it was so cheap. $900 instead of like 1300 or 1500 cuz it was an AMD.

if they need new ideas:

The Menike , i would like to see the first case that put a muffler on , and still stay cool (although big slow rpm fans are nice)

The Rammer, that sucked Outside air in for the CPU, or could blow it right out of the case (i got one, but to much stuff in the way to use the duct)

Hepa Fins , that puts in a dust filter that works right doesnt block 40% of the air and is easy to pull and clean. so i never have to dust off the fins again.

the Pass-out , has 100% passive noiseless cooling, that will reach 15 feet ,and go out the window to spew its heat there.

Computer Interupted , case that has built in UPS that combines the PSU with a UPS, limiting the conversions to AC and back.

SlidesALL the first case that everything slides out, . . . without anything having to be disconnected

the Dash , and why is there still no cupholder, and cigar lighter socket and handy glove box :)

SunBox, built in solar assisted power supply with no battery, any time there is sun it uses it as best as possible.

and Variety Show , combines all of the above in one case

Last edited:
if they need new ideas:

i would like to see the first case that put a muffler on , and still stay cool (although big slow rpm fans are nice)

a Ram that sucked Outside air in for the CPU, or could blow it right out of the case (i got one, but to much stuff in the way to use the duct)

Hepa Fins , that puts in a dust filter that works right doesnt block 40% of the air and is easy to pull and clean. so i never have to dust off the fins again.

the Pass-out , has 100% passive noiseless cooling, that will reach 15 feet ,and go out the window to spew its heat there.

SlidesALL the first case that everything slides out, . . . without anything having to be disconnected

and why is there still no cupholder, and cigar lighter socket and handly glove box :)

heres a 2 for one almost thought about getting one back in the day xD though the case doesnt come with it.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=sil-cigcup-bay

SIL-CIGCUP-BAY-soft.jpg

and not quite a glove box

http://compare.ebay.com/like/390325974203?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

I don't really like the look of the Alienware Desktops. The laptops are amazing, but I just don't like the Desktops >.>

Another vote for the Dragon case, I had an Antec version and loved it, used it for 2-3 builds.

The Cooler Master Stacker 832. Still today is relevant for large towers. Amazing innovation and perfect for the hardcore aircooled rig.

I have a Stacker STC-01 and a Stacker 832, so the CM Stacker gets my vote too :thup:

For the price Fractal Design could be a possible consideration too :shrug:

Back