• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Most Powerful PC Speakers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhantomOSX2

Registered
1. I'm new and still learning about speaker systems, etc. so bare with me if I say something stupid. I was wondering though, what's the most powerful, RMS wise (I think that's the right thing to ask, lol), speaker system (preferably 5.1, must have sub) that could be used with a PC. It doesn't have to be made specifically for the PC but something that'll work with it. With a price range of $100 and down.

2. Also, I saw this on an eBay add and to me it doesn't seem true, though I don't know much about it. One ad states: "PMPO (peak music power output) achieves maximum sound level using amplify of your system. This is the case when you use the speakers system with TV or Audio components. For PC, MP3, CD Player etc. the system uses RMS power"

I thought a speaker system can only use it's PMPO for a few seconds before it's destroyed, blownout, etc. How does someone acheive PMPO anyway? Is that statement bs?

3. I have a Creative Inspire 5200 5.1 Speaker Sys right now, is there anything I could do to that to make it more powerful, better, etc?

Thanks, I'm slowly learning but it's worth it. :cool:

Last edited:
Not sure what most powerful system, but the Logitech Z5300 5.1 speakers are a good choice. The're $140 on newegg, and you could probably find a pair on a ebay within price range.

PMPO is a worthless rating, as no speakers can maintain that wattage for than a split second. Also although RMS is a more accurate rating of power, RMS specs can also be overblown. If you're looking at the specs of a pair of speakers, try to find some reviews, that verify the specs.

I don't know for what you're using your speakers, but unless you're a serious gamer, or must have surround sound, go with a good pair of 2.1, like the Klispch Promedia or Logitech Z-2200.

You might want to try the Logitech Z-640, but I don't think they will give you the power you are looking for.

-Jonathan.

P.S: I'm not a speaker guru or an audiophile, so if I'm wrong about anything please go ahead and correct me.

Last edited:
First off, RMS is everything in terms of wattage, everything else is useless IMO. And for less than $100, your not going to be getting an awesome high wattage 5.1 system. Wattage isn't the only thing to worry about in a sound system. The Z-640's I've heard are a great bang-for-the-buck 5.1 system. They're popular, so you could probably demo them at a local best buy/circuit city in town.

Bios24 said:
First off, RMS is everything in terms of wattage, everything else is useless IMO.

RMS ratings can be overblown though, as jman999 said. I personally wouldnt look into the power rating of a speaker system too much anyways. Many other factors will determine how loud the set gets as well.

PhantomOSX2 said:
1. I'm new and still learning about speaker systems, etc. so bare with me if I say something stupid. I was wondering though, what's the most powerful, RMS wise (I think that's the right thing to ask, lol), speaker system (preferably 5.1, must have sub) that could be used with a PC. It doesn't have to be made specifically for the PC but something that'll work with it. With a price range of $100 and down.

2. Also, I saw this on an eBay add and to me it doesn't seem true, though I don't know much about it. One ad states: "PMPO (peak music power output) achieves maximum sound level using amplify of your system. This is the case when you use the speakers system with TV or Audio components. For PC, MP3, CD Player etc. the system uses RMS power"

I thought a speaker system can only use it's PMPO for a few seconds before it's destroyed, blownout, etc. How does someone acheive PMPO anyway? Is that statement bs?

3. I have a Creative Inspire 5200 5.1 Speaker Sys right now, is there anything I could do to that to make it more powerful, better, etc?

Thanks, I'm slowly learning but it's worth it. :cool:

1. The power output rating of computer speakers is almost always inflated. Even when it's RMS. I would not buy based on the power output.

2. No, basically that description was used to mislead the consumer. :( The PMPO rating doesnt mean anything. You can just disregard it. The speaker system doesnt use a specific power level. The power increases as you turn up the volume, and decreases as you turn down the volume.

Speakers do not use power in the way you are thinking. They draw a specific amount of current for a specified input voltage. A speaker blows up due to two reasons, either thermal overload, or mechanical overload.

3. Not really :-/

Yeah the RMS ratings on comp speakers isnt worth too much. The only RMS rating that I think matters is full bandwidth (20 to 20k Hz) with less than .1 % THD for solid state amplifiers. Even a lot of home theater receivers fudge the ratings which is annoying to say the least.

As to the most powerful computer system. You have to account for more than just power in watts. You need to take into account the speakers sensitivity, the amplifiers power etc. I dont think the "most powerful" comp sound system will come from any main stream company. It will most likely be a system made for sound engineers (pro sound).

Ryan

Ryan T said:
Yeah the RMS ratings on comp speakers isnt worth too much. The only RMS rating that I think matters is full bandwidth (20 to 20k Hz) with less than .1 % THD for solid state amplifiers. Even a lot of home theater receivers fudge the ratings which is annoying to say the least.

As to the most powerful computer system. You have to account for more than just power in watts. You need to take into account the speakers sensitivity, the amplifiers power etc. I dont think the "most powerful" comp sound system will come from any main stream company. It will most likely be a system made for sound engineers (pro sound).

Ryan

Well a power rating like you specified is a lot better than something like '100 watts rms' but even then it could be fudged. An amplifier could put out that power for 1/10 a second, but for extended periods, its power output could be 50 percent less.

But I agree, if you want powerfull computer speakers, look into prosound monitors :D

Well a power rating like you specified is a lot better than something like '100 watts rms' but even then it could be fudged. An amplifier could put out that power for 1/10 a second, but for extended periods, its power output could be 50 percent less.

True but i think that the full bandwidth RMS rating with low THD is about as close as you cna come to the actual power it has. Another big thing is that most the time when people listen to music at normal levels they use less than a watt of power. Of course thats provided you have speakers with at least a semi decent sensitivity. I think amplifier power is really one of the biggest measurments that gets relied on WAY to much but thats a whole nother topic :D.

Ryan

Azzkiller said:
But I agree, if you want powerfull computer speakers, look into prosound monitors :D
Definitely,Speakers made for pc's are not comparable to prosound monitors or even consumer bookshelves.

Well I dont know much about super high end studio monitors but I know you can go well over a couple thousand for a pair. My friend uses powered monitors on his comp and they sounded great. I think they were Event but i'm not sure. I Also got a chance to listen to some genelec monitors that list for a $1000. you can get a decent set of used powered monitors for around $300 or so.

Ryan

Back