• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mother of all heatsinks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
heheh, yea left a fin dent on your head LOL
i just grabed a 5lb weight off my bench set, i cannot image a heatsink being this heavy..
and the fact that its aluminum, which is like 1/3 weight of copper..
makes me want to juggle heatsinks :D

oh and one more thing, how exactly would you get that to fit even if you solved the mounting issues? If the center of that is the size of the CPU, or even if its lets say 6 inches, I would not be able to run the motherboard inside the case becuase the heatsink is so massive it would hit the back of the case and go further than the motherboard probably. Also, there are problems with getting it so that it will fit without having to saw off components such as the caps, or mobo power connecter etc.

@md0Cer said:
oh and one more thing, how exactly would you get that to fit even if you solved the mounting issues? If the center of that is the size of the CPU, or even if its lets say 6 inches, I would not be able to run the motherboard inside the case becuase the heatsink is so massive it would hit the back of the case and go further than the motherboard probably. Also, there are problems with getting it so that it will fit without having to saw off components such as the caps, or mobo power connecter etc.

yep, drill the heatsink to make way for capacitors.
and its 6x6x 3 , even with a fan on it, it will fit in any standard atx case

that thing is huge! :eek: :eek: i can't even imagine it being in my comp, i don't think it would fit. :(
Stupid RAM slots, being so close to the cpu!
I guess you could lay your comp down flat so the sink doesn't snap the mobo.:eek:

That's true, they put the ram too close to the CPU.

You might as well put a brick on the mobo. It might just out preform that HS!

i actually think it will preform well
LONG TERM well..
with so much surface area, i wonder how well it would do without a fan on it, just a case fan for air flow and of course at stock speeds.

i doubt ram will be in the way.. basicly you'll need 3" of clearance from the center of your core to allow it to fit. i have about 3 1/8" clearence on my epox..

stan03 said:
is it possible to break your mobo putting somehting that heavy on it?

I am a real newbie, but I believe I read at AMD website that the maximum suggested weight over the cpu is 600 grams.....5 pounds is very very very heavy. It would take someone with much greater skill than I to successfully attach this monster to a motherboard without putting all the weight over the cpu, I think there are few articles that discuss something like this (somehow they mod the board and heat sink and ensure taht there is contact without putting all the wieght over the cpu)....I am newbie..so other smau be able to tell you ore and I could be completely wrong.....

Well if you don't have a tower case it shouldn't make to much of a difference. You should be able to easily suspend the HS so that it sits on the CPU but not setting the whole weight on it.

why cool your heatsink with that? cool the whole house!! lmmfao..cooler house=cooler ambient=cooler cpu...strap that and a 12" fan to your case and presto..temps lower! lol...if that works i copy right it

Back