• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard bios keeps resetting back to defaults when i power down....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cnaydmancangt

My motherboard keeps resetting back to defaults everytime i power down for a day, when i turn it back on everything is reset and i have to change my settings back, and when i say everything i mean every back to defaults.

At first i thought a bad 3v battery but a new one didnt fix this.

Now im suspecting its this Display Port cable i bought. I bought this brand, as i keep having black screens on my 27 inch curved 2560x1440 monitor. I know its cable related because the factory cable the screen goes black and comes back every 5 seconds, a DP 1.2 cable i bought from micro center fixed this partially and it only goes to a black screen every maybe hour or so or when im gaming, especially when freesync and 144hz is on, if i go to 120hz it stops and the cables were all kinda loose inside the DP ports as well even though both have teeth to lock em. So thats why i bought this cable in the link below, its got an extended connector which they claim helps with keeping the cable more secure its a 1.4 DP cable, and they claim VESA certified. When i got the cable sure enough that extended end did in fact create a better connection, its not wobbly inside the ports anymore and its very secure and i havent had a black screen once anymore.. But one thing i didnt understand was if it was VESA certified why do they say that Pin 20 is fully connected.

This is why im wondering if this issue im having with my motherboard bios resetting is related to this cable and Pin 20 being connected. I heard feedback from the power on the monitor can go through pin 20 to the video cards and cause all kinds of issues. But i thought this was solved years ago ? Next time my PC is powered down i plan to unplug the DP cable and when i power back up the next day ill then plug the cable back in and see if the bios reset.. this way i can see if its the cable or not.

But for now what do you guys think could be resetting my bios everytime i power down ? Its not the battery, the computer is stable, and it isnt overclocked. I keep it at 4400mhz 24/7 at 1.20v and tbh ive never really overclocked the cpu except to just see how far i could get but that was ages ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B7J2D4S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ok nvm i guess it is the cable.

I powered down my pc in the pitch black, and looked at my LEDS on my fans, and they were very very faintly lit up could barely see it but it was there, when i unplugged this cable they powered down, When i plugged it back in the faint light came back.

Wow so this cable claims vesa certified, DP 1.4, but pin 20 is connected and is sending power to my video card when its powered off and its powering my system slightly.. resetting my bios everytime and doing who knows what else kind of dmg.

This freaking sucks man, this cable fixed my random black screens but is causing this issue.. Could pin 20 be the reason why so many people have issues with LCD's going to black screen's and with this cable having a connected pin 20 fixed my issue but clearly causing another. ?

Not sure what to do about this. I dont like my screen going black and coming back when im gaming, but i also dont want pin 20 to fry my system. Is pin 20 safe when the PC is on, can i just unplugg the cable when i turn the pc off to keep it safe and plug it back in when im on my pc ? Or would you guys just go back to the cable that causes my screen to black out randomly ?

I cant keep spending 10-15$ on cables to find one that actually works properly either its getting expensive, unless someone know for 100% certainty a DP cable that really good

Last edited:
That is a bit odd. Just curious, if you shut down the monitor does the PC still have slight power to it?

Yes it does, turning off any device doesnt stop it from drawing power tv's stoves ect all do this.

Anyway, i took the connectors apart and sure enough pin 20 is connected. So i cut it on both ends, no more power to the computer anymore and my bios hasnt reset itself either. Doing some gaming my monitor still doesnt black screen anymore. So i guess thats good, finally found a DP cable that doesnt black screen my monitor but i had to cut the wire on pin 20 on it. That kinda pisses me off though how is it DP 1.4 and Vesa certified but has pin 20 connected..

Either they are lying or Vesa certified means jack shiat

Or someone in production or in marketing made a mistake with that model of cable. Happens and it doesn't mean they are being dishonest.

Regardless im just glad my $400 monitor doesnt black screen randomly anymore.. That was extremely irritating

that is crazy. great job of troubleshooting! you should change the title of your thread to reflect what the issue was and how you fixed it!

Back