• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard DAMN YOU!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, it sounds like you may have killed your mainboard by putting it on the plastic cases and powering it on. Did you try another power supply? (funny, I usually ask this question 1st)
I know you said you tried another case, but did that case have a different power supply? and were the results the same? Just trying to cover all bases here....

Recap:

1st install, mainboard shows a split second of life; system turns on, lights blink and stuff and immediately shuts down.
Checked cabling etc. it seems fine and keep on trying.
Unmounted the mainboard and tried to power the board on "floating" with the result that fans start moving except for cpu fan that works sporadic and optical drives are not responding to their open buttons.

If you ask me, the original installation was faulty and there was a short circuit somewhere around the board.
Seemingly the pwr on switch was placed ok, otherwise he wouldn't had that split second of life, and even with a shorted reset the system should still stay on.
You tried your best to fix it, trying different stuff and trying to boot it over and over again (if the short was due to faulty installation) not knowing ur basically "nuking" your mainboard.
Offcourse this can also be a manufacturing error.

Only two steps left here (one being a question more).
1. when the system turns on now, do you have you welcoming bios beep ?
2. Try as last resort another PSU, very slight possibility that it's half fried due to short circuiting (witch i find unlikely since decent psu's have excellent protection against it).

If I understand you correctly you've got fans running but the DVD tray won't work - that's very suspicious. Suggest you plug in a DVD and a fan to your PSU (hopefully you've got a fan adapter somewhere), hot-wire pins 3 & 4 on your PSU (green and black), and see if the fan is running and the DVD tray works. That won't completely eliminate the PSU but it'll help to know if it seems to be working correctly ...

Back