• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard switch out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

I pondering an upgrade on my Mb from an ASUS P4S8X to a p4C800 for the upgradeability. Can I just pull a hardware change, similar to like switching video cards, if I keep all the rest of the hardware the same as the current configuration, or will it be like starting all over with a reload of Windows and the whole gamut?:rolleyes:
I'd like to know before I start tinkering with it.
Thanks for your input.

Morbid

Nitpicker
I believe if you do a hardware switch that deep in the configuration, you'll need to reformat to get it to work right since the MBR (Master Boot Record) will not match. You could always use your main HDD as a "slave" drive and transfer all your files over after the mobo switch.

JimmyG

It is possible to switch out the mobo without starting over, but by the time you get all the hardware straightened out and clean up all of the gitches you might as well have started over.

OP
mrgreenjeans

mrgreenjeans

thanks for the input. I suspected as such. Nothing could be that simple. I think I'll wait a spell for the price to drop and see if the bios revisions allow for more cpu OC flexiility.
Thanks.

Zoilo

Once Bitten, Twice Shy
There is one way. This has been covered in the Microsoft OS forum. What you need to do is:
1) If you have Win2k, made sure you're set to boot from the floppy or Zip drive and put in your win2k Setup disk(s), and the Win2k CD in the CD-ROM drive. Once it gives you the choices, hit Enter to do a regular installation, then agree to the EULA. It will then give you the option to repair your current Win2k. It will "repair" your files and keep all your programs registered so you won't have to start over. It will run setup again so it will detect ALL your hardware, preventing the BSOD for bad IDE drivers.

2) If you're running WinXP, then you'll have to use a repair option...I'm not very familiar with WinXP, but I will get you the link for the thread ASAP.

EDIT:
Here's the thread:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=175838

OP
mrgreenjeans

mrgreenjeans

Thanks for your input. I have seen the repair option on the winxp set up disk, and keep and a copy of the boot disk handy for emergencys( i've got a machine that randomnly corrupts the boot file?) and will give it a shot. Although i' knida like the clean install option.
Thanks again.