• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard Upgrade need advice (might be wrong forum sorry)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

smokey152

So long story short I bought the gigabyte z370p d3 just before the z390s and intel 9th gen came out. I didn't realize how important the quality of the motherboard is to overclocking and I wanted to use a mix of Corsair and gigabyte to build my PC. So I of course went with the cheapest z370 board that would let me OC and met my aesthetic. I have a pretty good OC of 4.7ghz @1.2v. Sure the VRM gets a little warm but not too crazy. I now find my self in a situation where I can get my hands on a z390 pro wifi for basically free. The features on the board such as an extra m.2 slot, and onboard bluetooth connection and better VRM are what I am interested in.

My questions are this:

1) Will I have to start all over with the OC as if I never OC'd it before, meaning stress test raise it slow stress test again etc. Or can I use the exact same settings I am at right now as a base and possibly go higher, but worst case keep the exact speed and voltage I am at now.

2) I am going to put 2 m.2 pcie drives on that board and put them into raid 0. Yes, I understand about the risks and backing up and I also understand I will have fewer sata ports which will not be an issue as I will now act like sata is dead tech, but is this even possible without a performance loss. I don't care about performance gain, only performance loss. Ideally the only thing I want here is that the two m.2 drives will be merged into one drive and I will of course be booting windows from that.

Once again, the only thing I care about is if the above two things can be done without a loss in performance. I don't care about the cost, and I will be having my step son do the labor work. I know some people will suggest using usb adapters, or pcie cards and tell me not to even worry about changing the board, but unless there is a performance loss I prefer using onboard over expansion cards and usb. If anybody cares I am also getting the RTX 2080 to go along with this and holly cow good luck finding that for under a $1000 before tax in my country. If relevant the following is the build I am using right now:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/robmartin703/saved/#view=cTWkdC

thanks in advance.

Smokey

1. no youll be fine using your current oc as a baseline. if its stable at that speed and voltage with your current mb it will most likely be stable with the new one right off the bat. i would wait until your windows install is complete before you apply your oc just to be safe.
2. from what i know of raiding m.2 drives your better off running them individually. they are already so fast running a raid 0 array isnt going to show any real world gains(other than the overall size increase) and the chance for complete data loss isnt worth it. i cant give much good advice on performance so ill defer to the raid experts.

create a signature so we can see what your rig will consist of. that way we can see what your working with in the future if you need anymore help or advice.
go to settings. then edit signature.

So what is your goal in going with RAID 0 with the PCI-e m.2 NVME drives? Are you doing this to double the storage space? The reason I ask is because you will experience little if any performance gain by going to RAID 0 compared to just one large PCI-e NVME drive in normal day to day type computing. There might be some performance gain if you are say, rendering large AV files or crunching large DB files.

I have switched over to different motherboards with the same processor. When switching to different manufacture, you have to start the testing all over again because the voltage readings from the separate manufactures motherboards are calibrated differently.:(

So long story short I bought the gigabyte z370p d3 just before the z390s and intel 9th gen came out. I didn't realize how important the quality of the motherboard is to overclocking and I wanted to use a mix of Corsair and gigabyte to build my PC. So I of course went with the cheapest z370 board that would let me OC and met my aesthetic. I have a pretty good OC of 4.7ghz @1.2v. Sure the VRM gets a little warm but not too crazy. I now find my self in a situation where I can get my hands on a z390 pro wifi for basically free. The features on the board such as an extra m.2 slot, and onboard bluetooth connection and better VRM are what I am interested in.

My questions are this:

1) Will I have to start all over with the OC as if I never OC'd it before, meaning stress test raise it slow stress test again etc. Or can I use the exact same settings I am at right now as a base and possibly go higher, but worst case keep the exact speed and voltage I am at now.

2) I am going to put 2 m.2 pcie drives on that board and put them into raid 0. Yes, I understand about the risks and backing up and I also understand I will have fewer sata ports which will not be an issue as I will now act like sata is dead tech, but is this even possible without a performance loss. I don't care about performance gain, only performance loss. Ideally the only thing I want here is that the two m.2 drives will be merged into one drive and I will of course be booting windows from that.

Once again, the only thing I care about is if the above two things can be done without a loss in performance. I don't care about the cost, and I will be having my step son do the labor work. I know some people will suggest using usb adapters, or pcie cards and tell me not to even worry about changing the board, but unless there is a performance loss I prefer using onboard over expansion cards and usb. If anybody cares I am also getting the RTX 2080 to go along with this and holly cow good luck finding that for under a $1000 before tax in my country. If relevant the following is the build I am using right now:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/robmartin703/saved/#view=cTWkdC

thanks in advance.

Smokey
1. Maybe. When you set a voltage in the bios, the only difference will be in vdrop and vdroop between boards. Since you are moving to a board with a better vrm, those tolerances SHOULD be tighter and what worked before should now, or be VERY close...not that it is calibrated different. You'll just have to dial in your LLC preference and go from there. If you were stable at X.xx V, start there with the new board too as a baseline. As was said, oc after your fresh windows install.

2. I agree with others in saying not to R0 unless you can utilize it. I mean it's fun to have a firehose, but when the amount of water coming out is that of your kitchen sink.....what's the point? Bragging rights? Fair enough! :)

it is gigabyte to gigabyte and thank you

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

I am ready to mark this solved thanks for all the help posted. I will NOT utilize raid0 and I am confident on how to proceed with the CPU OC aspect of it.

Thanks again

Back