• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse is Dead....Recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aslan

Well, my trusty USB Logitech Scroll Wheel Mouse has basically died, and I need a replacement.

Here is what I'm thinking of as a replacement (All Prices in CDN $)

Standard 3 button Logitech Optical @ $19.99

Logitech MX310 ~$30.00

Logitech MX500 @ $39.99

A couple questions first. Is there really much of a difference in the sensors in terms of accuracy between the three mice? How much of a difference would there be in both gaming, and also standard tasks as well?
Furthermore, to anyone who has the MX310, I noticed that the back and forward buttons are placed on opposite sides of the mouse. How hard it is to use these buttons compared to the MX500?

Thanks.

I myself use a Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical. $12 shipped to your door.

It's a nice mouse, I really really like it. I find it to actually be one of the best mice I've used...especially for the price. You might want to take a look at it. It has 5 buttons (including the wheel button). Two on top, one on each side. I like having them on each side because then you don't have to move your thumb to change the button. Just use a different figer.

http://www.bestbyte.net/Product.cfm?ProductID=117&CategoryID=21&Keyword=

I've purchased a few orders from that site. They are trusty.

edit: Canadian...I missed that part. I'd still look into that mouse. Maybe go into a local computer shop just to feel it in your hands and then search for it online if you like it.

Got the 310. Pretty happy with it. Love the side left/right-IE back/foward buttons. Easy to use the thumb to hit the left button, it's a bit harder to hit the right button but it's not that hard - bend that pinkie!

Don't even need to install the software to enable this feature.

But the lower lil button in the middle that's used for one-touch app switching requires the software, but since I don't need that, the software isn't installed.

Yamiyanazz said:
I myself use a Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical. $12 shipped to your door.

It's a nice mouse, I really really like it. I find it to actually be one of the best mice I've used...especially for the price. You might want to take a look at it. It has 5 buttons (including the wheel button). Two on top, one on each side. I like having them on each side because then you don't have to move your thumb to change the button. Just use a different figer.

http://www.bestbyte.net/Product.cfm?ProductID=117&CategoryID=21&Keyword=

I've purchased a few orders from that site. They are trusty.

edit: Canadian...I missed that part. I'd still look into that mouse. Maybe go into a local computer shop just to feel it in your hands and then search for it online if you like it.

It looks like a nice mouse. My roommate has the microsoft wireless intellimouse. It's okay, but I thought the scroll wheel was too "smooth" as in it didn't feel firm enough to scroll accurately easily. Notice the same thing with that wired mouse?

Bugalaman said:
your only choice is a MX510

Wrong. Razer Viper. You'll never go back. In fact, sometimes, it's too sensitive. There is somewhat of a learning curve, and I used an MX700 before that.

Just watch the video of my Viper.

Ain't nothin's better than a 1000cpi optical mouse.

Addendum: Do not buy Microsoft mice. They are not very good, and only have 400cpi.

Heat said:
It looks like a nice mouse. My roommate has the microsoft wireless intellimouse. It's okay, but I thought the scroll wheel was too "smooth" as in it didn't feel firm enough to scroll accurately easily. Notice the same thing with that wired mouse?

When I sue this mouse, it still "clicks" unlike their brand new mice that they have come out with that also use the "tilt-wheel" technology. You will still be able to feel the click of the scroll wheel.

daba said:
Addendum: Do not buy Microsoft mice. They are not very good, and only have 400cpi.

I can't find the actual numbers, but I do believe it was more than just 400. Face it, with all the other mice I've used (Even logitech), whenever I swiftly moved the mose back and forth, they would all wind up on the left side of the screen. With my mouse, I can move as quickly as possible and I am always sliding my cursor across the entire screen. The "IntelliEye" Technology that this mouse is equipped with is one of the best optical sensors on the market.

"The competition captures up to 2,500 frames per second, but the new IntelliEye sensor captures 6,000 frames per second, providing the smoothest, most precise and fastest tracking speed to date." - http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2001/mar01/03-21OpticalTechPR.asp

It's a bit old, but it's still a wonderful mouse. I highly reccomend.

Well, the Razer and the MX510 are nice, but I'd rather not spend $60-70 on a mouse. One thing that I should have mentioned previously was that I'm only really willing to spend up to $40, and would rather stay under $30.

Right now I'm leaning to the MX310, and possibly either the Intellimouse Optical suggested by Yamiyanazz, the Wireless Intellimouse Explorer (I might be able to get it for $35 through a Staples Pricematch) or even the MX700 (if I can somehow convince Office Depot to sell it to me for $40 using a Pricematch, Coupon Code, + Rebate, not likely though :rolleyes: )

Agent_Mull said:
definately the mx500. or for $5 more Tigerdirect.com has the mx700 for $44. Edit: Actually i just realized that it has some rebate that brings the price down to $35.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...&Sku=L23-6158&SRCCODE=GOOPROD&CMP=OTC-FROOGLE
Apparently Yamiyanazz, youve never tried a logitech mouse with the mx optical engine in it. It doesnt skip at all.

US $ Unfortunately.... My only real hope of getting a MX700 is to either go through Office Depot, or hope that Staples gives me a Pricematch (150%) on Tigerdirect.ca, which they usually don't do with this particular store.

What's even more annoying is that Staples (who used to sell the MX500 for $39.99; cheapest price in Canada) just raised it back up to $59.00 today. :(

Thanks for the links and suggestions, it looks like I'll end up with the MX310 tomorrow.

The Razors are nice mice and all but what was the point of flicking the mouse in the video?

edit: after looping the video two dozen or so times I've come to the conclusion that the mousewheel lights up and beeps when it goes off.

Agent_Mull said:
Apparently Yamiyanazz, youve never tried a logitech mouse with the mx optical engine in it. It doesnt skip at all.

You might be correct there. I can't really remember which ones I've used. But when I got my mouse for $12 shipped, I'm not going to argue at all. I love my mouse.

I would actually advise against buying a cordless mouse unless your a hardcore gamer.

I own a MX700, i love it in every way, except in 1 respect. Batteries

The batteries keep running out once every so often and that's so friggin annoying. I used to use a MX500, but i gave it to my sister cuz customs seems to have lost her Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer, but i would rather be running that most of the time when i play my RPGs that last over 5hrs straight. The MX500, MX510, MX700 and MX900 Logitech mice feel really good on the hand, are really accurate and got some really convinent buttons. When im surfing the web at school, i sometimes reach for those forward and back and scroll up and scroll down buttons on their crappy generic ball mices.

Back