• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mouse/Keyboard USB not working on new Asus X99m WS Mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mokrunka

Hey all. Building a new system, with an ASUS X99m WS board. RAID card from below and 4 SSDs. I7 5820k, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080, etc..

So I put everything together last night, and tried my luck with booting the RAID partition (already backed everything up, and wasn't expecting this to work). Anyway, Windows 10 actually booted, although as soon as the OS starts to load, my USB mouse and keyboard both stop working (it's like it tried to load the previous mobo (see sig) chipset drivers or something).

I put in the flash drive into a USB 3.0 slot, and was able to boot from that (i.e. the board recognized the drive in the USB slot), and the board also recognizes the keyboard and mouse, up until the point that the OS or install screen loads... Anyone know how to fix this so I can use my keyboard and mouse to install the OS?

I've tried a bunch of different USB ports, etc. to no avail. I've also noticed that once the OS loads, from that point on, the keyboard and mouse will not be detected (even after reboot) until I reset the CMOS.

I imagine there is some kind of setting in the BIOS to fix this, but I can't find it.

Also, the keyboard and mouse are working--tried them in another , and they also work in the BIOS.

Is there a newer version of the bios you could flash with from bios itself?

Since it boots to WinTen before it croaks it seems that WinTen looking for something and not finding it, or finding something in conflict. Are there different USB chipsets/drivers in the new MB than the old one that WinTen would be looking for? In the meantime, try getting it running using a PS2 mouse/KB. If you can get to a point of operating Winderz, you can fix software.

There have been AMD and Intel MB with this problem, I had this on a AMD MB 990FXA-UD5 rev 3.0 and a BIOS update fixed it, other than that I don't know. Before I updated the BIOS, only way to install the OS was to use a PS2 KB, after the OS was installed the USB KB/mouse would work.

You need xhci drivers in order for them to work in windows. I'd make sure your bios is updated, and see if there is an option for xhci or legacy usb and see if that works until you install the driver in windows.

The mobo page may even have something specific for it.... take a look.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks everyone. After a few reboots trying different settings, I've found that DISABLING xhci is what worked. Currently in the process of installing chipset/wifi drivers etc. I did also update the BIOS to the latest version, but that didn't help much.

Has anyone had any experience with installing the wifi drivers for this board? It has built in WIFI, but I've downloaded the drivers from ASUS, and when I run the setup, the install window appears for a brief second, and then closes, without installing the software.

Determine the WiFi chipset provider to ASUS for that board and go directly to their site for any drivers. ASUS may not have the latest baked into their disc/update.

I remember when I first got my Z97 board, the mouse and keyboard would not work. Found out I have to plug them in specific USB ports on the mobo for them to work. I also saw that in the manual :bang head

Back