• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving objects appear to stutter in video on new IPS monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sigma177

I'm having a strange problem with new 1440p 144hz IPS G-sync monitors. When watching video (Youtube or local video files played with a media player), bright backgrounds or light colored objects that are moving appear to stutter as they move. The result is that watching video on a new monitor looks far worse than my 10 year old 1080p 60hz TN display. It's not just one defective monitor either. I've tried 3 different monitors. Two different Acer XB271HU bmiprz and one ASUS PG279QZ. All 3 exhibit the exact same behavior. (Although it's worth noting that they all use the same AU Optronics panel.) I've also tried using different DisplayPort and HDMI cables and different computers.

-This NEVER happens in games under any circumstances, only in videos
-It's not the whole video or the whole screen, just bright and moving objects
-The monitor's Overdrive and ULMB settings make the stuttering much worse, the higher the Overdrive (Normal or Extreme) the more it seems to stutter and jump around.
-It's repeatable and predictable, not random

Here's an example of a video where I have this problem. (Not my video, not an endorsement, etc.) 4:14 to 4:21 The camera pans across some wooden beams with the bright sky as a background. When I watch this the wooden beams seem to be "stuttering" or jumping back and forth instead of just moving slowly across the screen. Does anyone else see a similar effect, especially if you have the same monitor or a similar one?

If it's happening on 3 different monitors the problem is upstream. What graphics card are you using and have you tried a clean install of current drivers?

Have you tried turning the response time to normal? On my Dell D2716DG, increasing the response time to Fast will create the ghosting/stutter effect. With Normal response time it goes away.

You should also see it when moving windows across the screen if you have a dark background.

I'm having a strange problem with new 1440p 144hz IPS G-sync monitors. When watching video (Youtube or local video files played with a media player), bright backgrounds or light colored objects that are moving appear to stutter as they move. The result is that watching video on a new monitor looks far worse than my 10 year old 1080p 60hz TN display. It's not just one defective monitor either. I've tried 3 different monitors. Two different Acer XB271HU bmiprz and one ASUS PG279QZ. All 3 exhibit the exact same behavior. (Although it's worth noting that they all use the same AU Optronics panel.) I've also tried using different DisplayPort and HDMI cables and different computers.

-This NEVER happens in games under any circumstances, only in videos
-It's not the whole video or the whole screen, just bright and moving objects
-The monitor's Overdrive and ULMB settings make the stuttering much worse, the higher the Overdrive (Normal or Extreme) the more it seems to stutter and jump around.
-It's repeatable and predictable, not random

Here's an example of a video where I have this problem. (Not my video, not an endorsement, etc.) 4:14 to 4:21 The camera pans across some wooden beams with the bright sky as a background. When I watch this the wooden beams seem to be "stuttering" or jumping back and forth instead of just moving slowly across the screen. Does anyone else see a similar effect, especially if you have the same monitor or a similar one?

I see the same thing in the link you posted. It is not the monitor with a problem it is the video.

Back