• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving win2k to raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pla

I have win2k on single disk 40GB installed like this:
C: 10GB - boot loader + other
E: 10GB - system/OS partition
F: 20GB - other
The OS already has the raid drivers installed.

I created 240GB raid-0 array of 2 120GB disks.

used ghost to copy all partitions from the 40GB to the raid while changing the partiotion sizes to 4, 20 and 40 GB

Removed the 40GB disk and
Tried to boot from raid but it didn't have Master boot sector config.
So I installed win2k on the raid just to create the MBS and the copied the orignial partitions again.

This time it booted - showed the boot menu, then windows booted ok up to the point when loading personal data.

It keeps loading and saving personal data in endless loop.

What may be the problem?

Resized partitions?
The fact that there is no D: ?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

attack

hmmm could be different size partitions. The work to try to figure it out seems like more than just installing the OS and transfering your setings manualy.

OP
P

Pla

There are drivers, programs and mostly all configurations of the programs, including Apache and tomcat...
So It is a lot - at least 2-3 days to install and reconfigure...

I will try disk copy today - it should keep the partitions the same.

OP
P

Pla

I did it!

Thanks, ajrettke - it was partitioning problem.

I used Norton Ghost 2001.

First it couldn't work with the big drive - it was giving out of memory error (my mem is 512 MB but I doubt it uses it).

I read on the support and found switches to turn of the ghost cache and it worked.

Then after copying partitions it didn't resize them properly - the extended partion was smaller then the total size of the logical partitions it contained.

So I created the partitions from win2k and tried again.
It started complaing of bad sectors on 1 of the partitions which was 170GB. So I deleted that partition.

Tried again and it couldn't boot from the copy.

So the last thing I tried was to use disk copy while keeping all the partitions to the original sizes (yes it propoused to increase them ?!)

And it worked - it booted fine from the copy.

Once it booted I used partition magic to resize the partitions and worked fine.

I probably need to buy the new norton ghost 2003 in order to backup from now on.

It works perfect! The new disk alone gave me sandra disk bench of 30MB/s. The raid array from them gave me 50MB/s!

Just wanted to post the results if anybody else has problems. ;)