• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MP or XP...PIV...you'll have to convince me

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wntrwlf

OK Y'all thx for the super7 tips. Now on to the 21st century:

We're batting around the idea of building new toys. i'd kinda like to do it in a well informed manner this time. So far I've not given Intel the time of day...or my money and would prefer to keep it that way(out of necessity I give it to Bad Bill...lack of options) But I'm not above changing.

We're looking at two boards right now for the XP-class; MSI K7N420 and the SoyoTek K7V dragon plus........ but these don't cover the MP-class.....what is the difference between the xp's and mp's? which is better? if it is the MP could someone recommend a mobo for those.

Any help y'all can offer is greatly appreciated. My wife is driving me nucking futs because of her crashing/lagging/locking up/BSoDing super 7 unit.:D

Thx Again

P.S. suggestion on prefered OS for gaming also appreciated

MP and XP cpu's are pretty much identical, except XP has one bridge cut and hasn't been tested in an MP environment...
tho technically they are the same...

First off definitely don't go with a P4, they are slow and overpriced. About that MSI board, I've heard that the new nforce chipset isn't that good. The Soyo bord you were talking about looks pretty good although I have never used it. MP's are deisnged for multiprocessor machines but like ottoman said are very similar to xps.

MP's are the "server" CPU's of AMD, where as the XP's are the power/home user CPU's. If you want to build a MP system, you are going to be putting out quite a bit of $$. The only board I would recommend from what I've read would be the Tyan Tiger dual MP CPU mobo. It comes with built in ATA 100 controllers, SCSI controlleres, 2 10/100 10-base T RJ-45 ethernet connectors on board, 4 DIMMS, AGP, 5 or 6 PCI and other things I can't remember right off hand. You have to use ECC memory with this board and chipset. Reviews have shown that dual CPU set-ups, unless very well set-up and executed, are not very good for gaming however.

How big do you want your system to be (phisicaly)? Micro-ATX, ATX or server chassie? I'll give you a better recommendation on a system if you tell me how big. Hope this helps. :)

He said that he would go with Intel, but would prefur to go with AMD since he always has. It just supply and demand.;) I Love my AMD, but have to admit that the Norhtwoods do a VERY decent job of OC'ing. I just don't know a lot about Intel because I spend my time on the AMD side of life and figured that some one from the "dark side" (Just Kidding!! What are you going to do with that water cooling tube? HEY! Get away from ME!!! ;) )would help him with that decission. :D

I use Intel and AMD at work. My home machine is Intel. Don't waste $$$ on a P4. How much processing power do you want ( notice I did not say need)? For AMD the new 760MPx chipset is out. Epox makes a dual cpu mobo with this chipset. The AMD XP1700 portable (not a laptop)I use at work has an Abit KR7-Raid board and runs very well.MOst of the time its running a data logger which is very cpu intensive.The other is running on an Epox board and runs well also.The machine with the Epox board was built by PCNut.The Abit machine was built locally.

dreadlord79 said:
It just supply and demand.;) I Love my AMD, but have to admit that the Norhtwoods do a VERY decent job of OC'ing.. :D

Northwoods may do a good job oc/ing but once you get to a certain speed you don't see a big difference in performance because they need more bandwith. I read an article someone wrote on the mainpage that said his P4 oc/d to 2.8 ghz was only a little better in benchmarks than a 2ghz willy.

I will go head to head with that Alienware system And I am betting my insides are cleaner and my cost less than theres.

I won't tell you which way to go, but I will tell you which way NOT to go. And the way not to go is AMD MP.

There are still too many problems in the AMD MP chipsets. The AMD760 and 768 in my opinion are complete garbage. It is so bad, that all manufacturers of AMD MP motherboard are including PCI USB cards because of the issues with the AMD chipsets and the USB not working, either part time or not at all.

Stay away from it.

Dual CPUs, if you dont need them and your OS dont support them, are a waste of money.

Get an AthlonXP, Epox 8KHA+ mobo and a gig of Crucial PC2100 DDR RAM. Cheaper than a Dual rig and probably more useful to you. Stick a GeForce 3/4 Ti in it and you will have an amazing rig.

As Kingslayer said, the AMD MP chipsets are still not perfect (although AMD is supposedly releasing a new Southbridge soon to fix the USB problem). With some AMD MP boards, certain RAM has to be used (ie expensive).

Have fun with a single XP rig and a Gig of RAM. :D

Kingslayer said:
I won't tell you which way to go, but I will tell you which way NOT to go. And the way not to go is AMD MP.

There are still too many problems in the AMD MP chipsets. The AMD760 and 768 in my opinion are complete garbage. It is so bad, that all manufacturers of AMD MP motherboard are including PCI USB cards because of the issues with the AMD chipsets and the USB not working, either part time or not at all.

Stay away from it.

DO you happen to own a system equipped with the Mp or MPX chipsets ? If no than how can you make such a daming statement about something you have no experence with ?

I guess MY Dual XP 1800 with the MP chipset is junk while I am folding,Encoding Video and gaming at the same time.Maby a single system without an MP chipset can do this ? NOT !!!!!!!!

Although you will get more FPS out of a single,you for sure get a massive amount of computing from a dual that a single can not even come close to.If FPS is your thing DONT GO DUAL.If you are looking to work that box and ask it to do many intense apps at the same time dont WAST your Money on a single..

Oh and by the way my USB works perfectly !

NEW:
Quote: Have fun with a single XP rig and a Gig of RAM.

Why a gig of ram on a single system ?

Last edited:
diehrd said:

DO you happen to own a system equipped with the Mp or MPX chipsets ? If no than how can you make such a daming statement about something you have no experence with ?

I can make a damning statement quite simply with a little research....here, try it..

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/760mpxroundup/

You're USB works? You're one of the few, if not the only that I have talked to. Do you use it constantly or just on and off?

Nope. I dont own an MP or MPX system. I wouldn't run a motherboard that has USB issues so bad to the point the motherboard manufacturers have to bite the bullet and include USB cards with their system. One manufacturer even left the USB connectors OFF the motherboard totally. And yes, I will continue to refer to the AMD768 as garbage until these southbridge/USB issues are resolved by AMD.

It's not because I'm an Intel fan either. It's not like USB is something new here. If an Intel chipset didnt support something as common place as USB I would label it as garbage also.

Back