• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MP3 play - I want a FANCY one ...!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

20p

Registered
So does anyone know if there is a solid state MP3 player that uses either USB2 or Firewire to transfer instead of the slightly slow USB...

I thought this was the future.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
is ipod compatable with pc's yet or just mac's

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
SkaGoatMaster said:
of course it is PC compatible. come with the "PC Firewire kit"

im not crazy right when it first came out you couldnt use it with a pc right?

Captain Slug

Helpful Senior Member
crash893 said:
im not crazy right when it first came out you couldnt use it with a pc right?

Correct. Apple is only recently changing their Nazi-esque tactics because they realized that their profit margins were going down hill faster than a fat man on an ice block.

Hence the amusing switch to Unix based OSes. That makes me giggles. teehee

Yakbak

Most solid state players don't have the capacity over 1GB...

I have a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3. It's 20GB standard, firewire and USB 1.1, but the sound clarity is great, Li-Ion batteries, 2 battery bays, blue backlight...

Very nice player, costs about $300 retail.

Able72

And again, all the creative nomad jukeboxe's are Hard-Drive based. That includes the original, the 3, the 2, and the new Zen.

For solid state the biggest (most available memory) that Creative puts out is the original nomad product line (can't remember off the top of my head, but I think its the IIC that has 128MB onboard ram) and these accept memory flash cards. Creative officially supports flash cards of up to 128MB for a total of 256MB. Whether or not they can take larger I don't know. Although you can use multiple flash cards, depending on how much money you have available that could give you a virtually infinate supply of solid state ram.

edit: Just checked the creative north american site, it is the IIc that has the onboard ram available in 128, 64, 32 MB options. The 128MB option currently lists on their website for $169.99 You could order it from the website, call customer service and place an order, or simply shop either online with another retailer or one of your local retailers

Last edited:

Mr. $T$

realized that their profit margins were going down hill faster than a fat man on an ice block.

LOL :D

You want something that uses a compact flash card because it is a standerd and you can use IBM microdrives with them also.

I made the mistake on buing a Rio 600, Very nice Player however it had 'backpacks' which only go to 128mb so I screwed myself on upgrading.

Luie

iPod is a nice choice.
So small for a 5, 10, 20Gb.

And fast firewire uploading too.

It looks good as well. Large LCD screen and all.
Very good quality headphones as well! which is rare in most other MP3 players. (uses a special magnet)

OP

20p

Registered
Thanks for all the feedback

OK so it seems that the only option is the IPod and its pretty expensive..
I suppose I could live with 256Mb of memory and go for something a bit more pocket friendly.
I mean its like the price of a big mother of a TV or .. a really good amplifier.... its just hard to justfy on cost...
(I wouldnt ever have to buy CDS tho.. heehee)

Dreamkiller

Where the the RB26DETT-powered monster lives.
Gerst240 said:
i currently have the Bantam Interactive Explor BA350 i think it is the best on the market it is the size of a credit card and has 128 built in memory plus expandable to another 128 it costs only 200 dollars it charges off the usb and has interchangable colors ...just my thoughts but i like it

http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-6342420-1304-7544128.html?tag=pdtl-list

200$ can get you a lot of stuff for an MD. Plus the media is about 2$ per disc which holds to 2.5 hours [on LP2, almost no noticable quality loss, LP4 sounds like a 64-bit mp3].

I use this on my car:
http://www.minidisco.com/minispecs/sonymzn707-hd.html
Its worth the consideration.