• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MP3Gain

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

Don't do it. I've used it and it left a lot off my .mp3 files unplayable. It turned them into a .tmp file. The files still work if you correct the file extension but it is a pain. I'm geussing it must have had errors when encoding the track and just left the original as .tmp file.

jmdixon85

If you do try it then may I suggest you download this program:

http://www.snapfiles.com/downloads/dlexchanger.html

As I said, I have not known mp3gain harm any files but simply leave the files it cannot proccess as a .tmp file. Simply search your music folder for .tmp files and drag them to this program and tell it to change the extention back to .mp3

I have about 10,000 music tracks on my server and mp3gain failed about 60 of them so most of your collection will be normalized.

I do not think media player does a good job of normalizing music tracks, and if your burn music DVD/CD's it is handy to have them all at the same volume. Even when burning using Nero I still don't think the "normalize" feature does much good.

OP
Lian Li

Lian Li

Why not just let your media player normalize the files upon playback? Most of them support it.
I have a Zune 80, and when I connect it to my car stereo there is a noticeable difference in volume from one track to the next and it bugs the hell out of me. One track will sound loud on volume 20, but then the next song comes on and I'll have to turn it up to 30 for it to be loud, it's horrible.

Sir Barton

Does your Zune support volume normalization? It plays back all of the files at the same volume. Normalizing essentially does what mp3gain does, it increases the volume of the quieter mp3s to match that of the loudest one.

Xtreme Barton

Don't do it. I've used it and it left a lot off my .mp3 files unplayable. It turned them into a .tmp file. The files still work if you correct the file extension but it is a pain. I'm geussing it must have had errors when encoding the track and just left the original as .tmp file.

dont do what ?

a simple copy and a trial run will not hurt anything important :rolleyes:

jmdixon85

I've explained why he may not want to try it and gave my advice to download a usefull program incase it does fail on a few of the mp3's and leave them as temp files as it did with me.

I agree that atleast from my experiance mp3gain did not "perminatly" hurt any of the mp3's but that little program is a life saver when it does screw up. After all, who wants to rename tens (maybe hundreds) of files.

EDIT: Do you mean copy an entire music collection? If so then yeah that may be worth it if your collection is only a few GB or so. But a bit time consuming if your collection is encoded lossless or you have a large collection. (or both)

OP
Lian Li

Lian Li

Does your Zune support volume normalization? It plays back all of the files at the same volume. Normalizing essentially does what mp3gain does, it increases the volume of the quieter mp3s to match that of the loudest one.
If it did, I wouldn't have made this thread

Sir Barton

Foobar2000 supports replaygain. You can take a whole playlist and adjust the replaygain, which will in effect level out the volume on your mp3s. You can permanently write those changes to the files as well, then transfer them to your Zune.

OP
Lian Li

Lian Li

Foobar2000 supports replaygain. You can take a whole playlist and adjust the replaygain, which will in effect level out the volume on your mp3s. You can permanently write those changes to the files as well, then transfer them to your Zune.
I tried an album with MP3Gain, didn't notice a difference. I'll try Foobar2k and see how it goes, thanks

jmdixon85

It think mp3gain does a good job of normalizing the tracks, it's just that damn .tmp problem that lets it down. Approx 60 files out of 10,000 isnt so bad tho.

OP
Lian Li

Lian Li

It think mp3gain does a good job of normalizing the tracks, it's just that damn .tmp problem that lets it down. Approx 60 files out of 10,000 isnt so bad tho.
When I tried mp3gain a while ago I just imported an album that I know was recorded low, bumped the gain from what is was, 88.xdb to about 92db and didn't notice anything different but the fact that it showed there was now clipping in every song. Clipping = bad for high end stereo system.

jmdixon85

I also noticed that mp3gain claimed the tracks would suffer from clipping. I thing it must use a crued method to work that out. I have listened to tracks normalized by mp3gain, also at around 92db on some very high quality audio equipment. And I think mp3gain just talks c**p.