• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mSATA 850 evo 250gb TEMPERATURES

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Got my hands on a mSATA Samsung 850 evo 250gb on a JuStop converter/enclosure which the previous owner had briefly on a laptop and he said the temperatures often spiked to 70c+. I want it to replace my Crucial m4 64gb as system drive and it will be mounted on the back of the motherboard on my Define S. Question - Will the direct contact with the case (and the 1x140mm fan on the grill above) be enough to sufficiently cool it as a daily driver or do i invest in a copper heatsink and pray it fits on the enclosure (they are fairly cheap on Amazon/eBay) ?

View attachment 202938 View attachment 202937

View attachment 202936

What do you mean by "direct contact with the case"? Are you installing it in the m.2 connector on the motherboard or are you connecting it via a SATA cable? If in an m.2 slot on the underside of the motherboard then there should be some space to prevent contact of the bare drive with the case tray created by the motherboard offsets. And isn't there a hole there anyway?

SATA cable with the enclosure (also metallic), it makes contact with the case where it's set up so i assumed it transferred some of the heat like a passive heatsink ? if not, do i HAVE to get a heatsink ?

View attachment 202939

I would just deploy it as planned and monitor temps. If they are too high in heavy disk usage then go with heatsinks. The thing is, there probably isn't good contact inside the enclosure so heat transfer from the chips and PCB to the enclosure is probably not going to be efficient. But try it first.

I read that mSATA are ok-ish to ~90c but was hoping temps drop considerably cause it's on a well ventilated case instead of a laptop :D

Yeah, I don't think the temps are likely to hurt anything. Maybe a little throttling occasionally but you won't know until you try. Is there any place in side the case you could hot glue the module a long an edge with it sticking up in the air where there was ventilation? Or suspend it by the screw holes with zip ties or something. A little ghetto, yes.

Last edited:
It's a SATA drive, not PCIe/NVMe, right? SATA drives dont need the cooling that nvme drives do. It will be fine.

Ok, ran him through the steps and highest temp i saw was 48c, althought it was VERY slow cooling back down from that. Thank you for the tips, if i ever see it go above 60c ill try the ghetto mod :D

Ahh.. I thought that was the throttling point. I'd bet it doesnt throttle until at least 70C.

Ok, now i have a new issue - i can hear the SSD working through the speakers. Worked my way through every sound setting, changed from connecting in the back to front and vice-versa, changed speakers, re-installed drivers, still no go. Suggestions ?

The enclosure for the SSD is metal, correct? That should eliminate RFI but what happens if you were to (as an eperiment) just let the SSD enclosure dangle loose without making contact with metal parts of the case?

Does it with both case on and off, dangling or in it's spot. I remember having this issue a few years ago with my 1st 850 EVO on my Intel rig, turned out to be audio driver related but since i'm using the latest from the mobo website didn't think it would be an issue.

Don't have one, this is in my FX-8370 setup (sig) - sold the 6700k a while back to prepare for a major upgrade.

EDIT: Seems to be working ok-ish and sound is fine, odd that the feedback goes down after a cold restart (never really disappears, just lowers volume) and then gradually goes up again as i use the system. Never enough to annoy or go over the sound of anything else, just a background static noise whenever its used more.

View attachment 203031

Last edited:
I tried it on my other setup and it seemed fine, no feedback even with speakers on full.

Back