• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSDN AA questions for dem college folk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

so i found out today the community college i go to is part of the MSDN Academic Alliance, which supprises the hell out of me.

any way in the list of available software theres windows 7 professional 64bit. cost is $0.00, download only (only 2 and some odd gigs) a couple of questions for those that have done it

when you download it is it like a compressed file or a DVD image?
and also when i stop going to school will i be able to use it?
like when i graduate or transfer to a non MSDN-AA school

dropadrop

It will be an image file. How many times it can be installed depends on the case - my previous work place had unlimited access and installs of all MSDN packages, current one has limited (it tells you when you have used a license too many times).

OP
Niku-Sama

Niku-Sama

It will be an image file. How many times it can be installed depends on the case - my previous work place had unlimited access and installs of all MSDN packages, current one has limited (it tells you when you have used a license too many times).

oh i'm not talking about installs, i imagine they'll send me a product key with it, i was just wondering if i wasnt going to school any more if it would breach the user agreement since i would have downloaded and be using an OS i got while i was in school.

nothing about reinstalling.

OP
Niku-Sama

Niku-Sama

sweet so once i install it while i am going to school its mine for ever

Moto7451

Senior Something
My brother's school is part of that program but unfortunately the software won't activate. He's not sure if it's because the admins need to hand out the keys or if their school simply doesn't have the right type of license granted to them. He's free to download and reinstall every 30 days however.

OP
Niku-Sama

Niku-Sama

well we'll see

what gets me if that office isnt on MSDN and windows is? generally college students buy computers with windows on them but always need office so it would help them out more to have office available to download than windows

but i guess every school has a different profile and different things asto what they have available to them

edit:
i just saw this

MSDN AA said:
In order to obtain and install the software on this site, you must be an eligible user in the System. Your Program Administrator is responsible for providing eligible users with a username and password. If you believe you are an eligible user but have not received a password via email, please send email to your Program Administrator: [email protected]

and it shows that i have a user name and e-mail when i log into the e-mail account for the school, its different, specificly says its for MSDNAA

noticed XNA was available too....gonna be a busy download week it seems, with windows and XNA and Office (gotta buy office through ultimate steal though) glad i dont have a cap and my connections wiggin out and working at about 20 megs instead of the 3 i am paying for

Last edited:

Moto7451

Senior Something
I believe Word isn't available because MS hasn't been able to get Word fully compliant with a lawsuit they lost last year related to some of the XML stuff in the newest version as well as Office 2003. It should be up soon.

OP
Niku-Sama

Niku-Sama

hmm. well i have 15 more times i can open word before i have to enter a serial number, if i could get that for free too that would help me out a bunch

mxthunder

I was always confused why they didnt offer me Office products from the academic alliance, but would offer hundreds of different titles that cost thousands of dollars.
Cant beat getting a free iso image and CD-key!
I believe the licenses are better than your standard retail version, because I have installed my windows copes dozens of times without facing any activation woes.