• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 5870/'s Benching

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deanzo

Benchmarking Senior Member
As some of you may know, I've been getting hardware together for some 4 way quadfire benching.

303802full.jpg

Seeing as I have most of the items I'll need, may as well start a thread :)

To get started and for a bit of fun, I took part in the Single GPU competition that k|ngp|n was hosting over the last couple of weeks. Which saw the card I was using hit 1380/1350 (oh how I wish/hope all of them can do that)

i7 975 @ 4748Mhz
MSI 5870 @ 1380/1350
Asus RE II
OCZ 2000 Cas7
F1 eXtreme
Tek9 3.0
Retail Drivers 9:11 WHQL
Win7 32bit
410 watts at the wall

P24486

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=1640144

Here is the article I did for TweakTown where you can read more about it.
Click Me

Over the coming weeks I'll up date this thread with how I get on with 4 cards under ice.

Last edited:
3dmark06 with dx11 graphics cards?

PUHLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE:blah:

I think 06 scales better than Vantage, mainly because most people running Vantage with Nvidia cards are doing it with PhysX enabled.

I don't count on any benchmark program on how well it will game. I play games for that. :thup:

I'll soon have 3 5870's myself. :cool:

I think 06 scales better than Vantage, mainly because most people running Vantage with Nvidia cards are doing it with PhysX enabled.

I don't count on any benchmark program on how well it will game. I play games for that. :thup:

I'll soon have 3 5870's myself. :cool:

If you want to see how well 3dmark06 scales use a 2ghz cpu with a x1800, 2800, 3870, 4870, 5870.

Watch how the score barely moves!

Deanzo, please try the Dirt 2 demo when it comes out (2pm GMT 1st Dec), it's DX11 and has a benchmark test also. I don't know if crossfire will work with it but with your GPU at those clocks I'm interested to see how well it performs. :D

Hold on a sec, how come your using the 32bit version of W7? :)

Thanks guys,

If you want to see how well 3dmark06 scales use a 2ghz cpu with a x1800, 2800, 3870, 4870, 5870.

Watch how the score barely moves!

Right, so running your cpu slower than intel made it, with high end cards that need cpu power behind them proves that.

Now do the same test at the speed you have your chip running at, are you still going to say the scores would barely move over the five cards.
From all the years I've been running 3D06, I'd say the jump in score would be out of this world.

Deanzo, please try the Dirt 2 demo when it comes out (2pm GMT 1st Dec), it's DX11 and has a benchmark test also. I don't know if crossfire will work with it but with your GPU at those clocks I'm interested to see how well it performs. :D

Hold on a sec, how come your using the 32bit version of W7? :)

Sure, I'll add Dirt to the list of benchmarks I'll run, I have a thread in the games forums asking what demos have benchmarks, and I want to show what these cards can do in games with a bit of a push behind them.

Win 7 32bit was faster than 64. But when I say faster, we are talking about such a small amout in a benching setup.
In a comp, a silly small amout like 10 marks could all you need for the win, so it matters alot there.
For everything else, 64bit all the way imho

As I wait for another card.

Just did a very fast run last night with the other 3 on air.

At one point I was pulling 914 watts at the wall.

Who knows how much when I feed 4 or them 1.6v +

P35792

Last edited:
Sure, I'll add Dirt to the list of benchmarks I'll run, I have a thread in the games forums asking what demos have benchmarks, and I want to show what these cards can do in games with a bit of a push behind them.

Win 7 32bit was faster than 64. But when I say faster, we are talking about such a small amout in a benching setup.
In a comp, a silly small amout like 10 marks could all you need for the win, so it matters alot there.
For everything else, 64bit all the way imho

Awesome, can't wait to see how fast your setup runs it :) I would've thought that you would run into ram limitation issues with the 32bit version?

As I wait for another card.

Just did a very fast run last night with the other 3 on air.

At one point I was pulling 914 watts at the wall.

Who knows how much when I feed 4 or them 1.6v +

P35792

That's crazy! :clap:

what psu are you running to power that monster of a rig?

With 4 cards we usually use 2 psu. Right now I'm using a Pc Power & Cooling 910w and a Cooler master 1000w, but I didn't ran my cards cold yet, the max Vcore they saw is 1.4v, but I will be trying a Silverstone Strider 1500w sometimes next week

Yeah it does, I'm having brain issues apparently.. :rain:

I'm going to have issues fitting three 5870's in my case unless I move my PSU to the top. Dammit! I've got two in there now and she's full (psu is partially blocking the third slot).

About 29000 in 3DMark06 and a little over 25000 in Vantage. This is with mild overclocks to the 5870's - 900/1250. One is flashed to the Asus bios, but I need to flash the other. Then I'll try for some higher clocks and scores. I need a 4.5Ghz capable CPU (on air).

Not pleased that Deanzo's single, freakishly high overclocked single card is almost as fast as my two!

Last edited:
Right, so running your cpu slower than intel made it, with high end cards that need cpu power behind them proves that.

Now do the same test at the speed you have your chip running at, are you still going to say the scores would barely move over the five cards.
From all the years I've been running 3D06, I'd say the jump in score would be out of this world.

Well a recent review of the 5700 series over at THG showed FPS results in games for a stock i7 vs an OCed one, not even 1 FPS difference. Of course they were not using a CPU bottlenecked resolution like 3dMark06 does ;) (1920x1200 I believe was what they used)

Nice results on the single card man, Woo wheee thats some fast clocking ATI bidness :) Heard about the exploits going on over at the forum, who was it that killed a card going for 1400 core?

Don't want to hijack your thread Dean but I just want to show what 4 5870s can do on air, and how you gonna demolish that with cold cards so everybody know that gpu oc is as important as cpu oc to get the max scores. So here's my best Vantage run so far

vantage38125.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back