• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 970 Gaming fails to keep CPU unlocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HK-47

Registered
Greeting: Hello to you fellow PC users. I am known as HK-47. A first time poster on this site. I am programmed to understand over 17,000 forms of communication and am able to engage in, personal combat.

I assume this is the right section for this to go under as it mostly has to do with the MB rather than CPU.

Okay. I've searched for solutions to my problem, but nothing matches or works. I am considering posting on MSI's forum and the forum on Tomshardware to get extra input from multiple sources. As of this post I haven't done so.

So I made the apparent mistake of getting the MSI 970. I was in a bit of a need for a new MB. Here's what happened in short:

My previous MB was the MSI 870-G45 (full current specs are in signature). My CPU is the beloved Phenom II x2 560 Callisto BE. It successfully unlocked to the x4 b60 and overclocked perfectly. It ran that way for four years with no problems ever. Until it happened. I hooked up two 80mm fans into a modular port on my PSU that had never been used. PC didn't boot. After several tries of different ports and making sure things were hooked up right, I found out my PSU murdered my GPU. It also killed the LAN port on the MB. Thus ended a good computer :rain:. Well... sort of. Thankfully my second computer had the exact same GPU. I needed a new MB soon so as to not risk the old one killing my HDD (when you have internet that is only 1.5Mb, it's a pain to download some games). Being on a budget and needing a MB soon, I bought the 970 since I had such great success with my 870, ignorant of MSI's current reputation.

After putting everything together, under the supervision of a friend who has taught me a lot about computer hardware, and booting up, I find Windows is too dumb to start up so I can change the MB drivers. After reinstalling Windows (backed up old files and reinstalled), I proceed to overclock and unlock. Set the ratio to 17.5 and the Voltage to +0.11 and enabled core unlock. It failed almost each time, but never indicated such. We didn't realize the default FSB was 220 instead of 200 as it should have been adjusted to. After fixing that, things worked. Sort of.

This brings me to my issue: My CPU sometimes unlocks all the way, and other times it won't.

I boot up the computer, it's unlocked. I restart the PC, after loading into Windows, and it will either sit there with blank screens and do nothing (not even get to BIOS) for an unknown maximum length of time (let it go 5 min); sit with blank screens then boot up with the two default cores; or tell me "The previous overclocking has failed." (which rarely happens). I'll even start it up, go into BIOS, it shows all four cores, I save and exit, it boots to Windows showing only two cores. It's being inconsistent. It hasn't mattered if the Ratio is 16 or 18 nor if the voltage is +0.10 or +0.12. I even used OC Genie and had the same problem. A couple of times I managed to reset the computer, and it kept it unlocked. But after the second reset, it reverted back to a dual core. It usually boots as a dual core. It also shuts off completely when I adjust the ratio. But even that does not happen every single time.

I also changed out the battery for the one in my old board in the off chance the one in the new board is bad. Not likely but figured it was a long shot.

Most of this took place when I was alone. Specifically changing the FSB from 220 to 200. I know for a fact that the Overclocking isn't failing because for a bit I was setting the ratio to 7.5 instead of 17.5 (D'OH!). I could tell a huge difference when I bumped it up to 17.5.

So my queries are as follows: What suggestions do any of you have that I can try? Did I mess things up already? Who's going to be the first to give the usual list of "Did you try....?"? When adjusting the Ratio, is the PC supposed to shut off completely for a few seconds after saving and exiting BIOS?

Before you ask, yes my computer is plugged in. Yes I reset the computer. Yes I unplugged it, waited 10 seconds then plugged it back in. Yes I am aware that the display screen is NOT the computer. Yes I reset my modem and router. Yes I am sure it's my computer and not that of someone else. Yes my router is hooked up correctly. *presses 1 for English* 1

Additional Info: I did get a "Computer was reset because CPU wasn't getting enough power." message when using my old board, but that happened once. I have attributed that to something wrong with the MB.

Additional Info: I also ran Prime95 (small FFTs) when I managed to get my PC to boot into Windows with all four cores, and had no trouble. I let it loop twice. CPUZ is also falsely registering my Core VID. It's stuck at 1.300V. HWMonitor however changes as I change the Voltage.

Cautionary: I also would like to avoid doing anything that could "brick" the MB. I want to be able to get a refund if I absolutely have to.

For the record, I am not a noob nor am I a veteran. I am new to doing this kind of thing myself on my own. I do learn quickly and usually understand anything said. I am however afraid of messing things up. So if I ask questions that seem "stupid" or repeated, I'm just afraid of doing it wrong and messing up big time. As I said before I am on a budget of sorts. I don't have a job per se, but I do earn funds during the spring/summer/fall doing yard work. I am not averse to getting a MB that is $150+. It's just not cool when it gets to Winter, my income drops to $0, and I have to wait all Winter.
I do have a secondary computer (built from parts given to me for free and Ebay) that I can use if I must RMA/request a refund. I am well within the 30 day refund time period.

TL;DR: L2R. If anything needs clearing up, just say so, and I'll try my best.

There are many sad stories of motherboards and locked cpus...

...that in combination unlocked a cpu but when the motherboard was changed many found that the locked processor no longer unlocked, no longer unlocked the same number of cores as previous board unlocked and so the stories go. In these stories the motherboard was supposed to be the only thing changed out. That would logically suggest the motherboard was not a good unlocker.

If that board were still in warranty from the seller, I would set up an RMA and return the board for another because the unlock function actually is either set to locked or unlocked and that is about it. So for it to unlock and then not unlock, it has to be the board as logic suggests.

The other really next best idea is to get into the MSI forum and see if any have had such issue. Here we have never had a post that said an MSI board unlocked one boot but failed the next and back and forth. Maybe a died in the wool MSI user in their forum has had such issue. We tend to steer people away from MSI especially since the FX processors are all that is generally for sale in retail market. Best luck to you man.
RGone...

Thanks RGone. I knew I was adding to the many sad stories here. I just wanted to make sure all info was given to make giving help easier. Don't have any posts about something like this? You do now! You're welcome! :clap:

Regarding my new MB, that was my suspicion as well. I do plan on getting the FX-6300 when or if my Phenom dies. I know that the lifespan of a CPU depends on it's usage. I've gamed almost all day every day (SW:TOR, SCII, older games like KotOR on max settings) since I bought it, and the computer is on almost 24/7 (save for storms, power outage, gone for a day or more). It's a long-shot to ask, but is there any idea on how long it might still go? Figured I'd throw that out there in the off chance that a rough idea has been acquired, though I don't expect one.

On that note, I've seen mention of the ASUS Crosshair and Sabertooth. Of those two, which is recommended?
Do you think I should just go ahead and pick up one of those ASUS motherboards and be done with it? I'm leaning towards "yes".

Just so you're aware, my Sabertooth will not unlock my 565BE where as my Gig boards will. So if you're just looking for a board to unlock your 560, the Sabo ain't the one.

Good to know sir. Have a drink for a job well done. Blood wine, or Tarisian ale?

Yes. I do want a board that will unlock my 560 and yet be FX compatible. One thing I forgot to ask, how do you tell the difference between the different revisions of the Gigabyte boards?

I must confess, determining a good board that fits my needs is not an area I'm proficient at yet.

And even if I can at least get a selection of good boards to choose from, that would be helpful.

If it helps, my only parameters are: It must be able to unlock/overclock a 560, and overclock the FX-6300 and stay stable. And it MUST be ATX and Gaming.

It is early and no one up so did some searching...

...the searching of Gigabyte website showed me nothing about later boards built with FX nearly the only cpu in mind, I find as below.

GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0) << is the current 990FX in UD3 trimmings that for FX processors should be far ahead of the Rev 3.0. BUT I could find nothing that says this new model will unlock hidden cores. That is fading fast on newer motherboards, no matter whom makes the boards.

GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 1.0) This has seemed since release to be the replacement for the GA-970A-UD3 Rev 3.0 which drove users crazy with throttling and such. I don't see any thing relating to unlocking for the newer GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 1.0)

Hidden core unlocking of older processors is fading fast into the sunset. Earlier versions of some boards featured unlocking but newer versions that are well suited to the later 6 and 8 core FX processors are just not setup to unlock older cpus that might have a hidden core.

I have the early CHV mobo and it will unlock hidden cores of older processors, but the later CHV-Z motherboard has NO unlocking option. Things are just moving on for sure. Be the moving Good or Bad in all of our eyes.

If you could find a good and at the same time inexpensive used CHV original mobo, that would fix it all around. Good enough for the later FX processor since my CHV clocks the PEE out of my FX-8350 and yet should still unlock hidden cores.

Crap I might even search eBay for a good older board like you had and use it until the 560BE is not longer good to you.

I say this because in all honesty the later boards that are now being built almost exclusively for the FX processors, are no longer fitted with earlier widgets.
RGone...

Oooh! That is shiny. It's a shame that newer boards don't provide the unlocking capability. But it makes sense. Once you have 6 or 8 cores, unlocking isn't really necessary. It's just nice for those of us that still have Pnenom processors that can very closely match or even out perform the newer AMD processors.

Really?! It supports the FX? Even though it's not listed as being able to do so anywhere else?

Even if it doesn't, it's still shinier than my old MSI 870 (ports and heatsinks). I'll probably go with that.

Wait... was that content? On the internet?! Let me try that again.

*screams like a 5 year old* I want everyone and everything to meet my expectations and do what I want and do it now! :rofl:

I'm still in the refund stage, so if there are any more suggestions on good boards, then by all means, post them. I appreciate all the help and suggestions.

I see "AMD SB850", but not 8350. Am I correct in assuming you're currently using an FX on that board?

Unless it supports it with a BIOS update. I could see that. Correct?

I see it. lol I can internet.

Would be nice. I don't think I'll go to the 8350. But that's down the road. Hopefully a long way off. *cpu blows up* "NOOOOOOOOO!" - Vader

No, I'm not using an FX on that board. I have the Sabo for that.
I'm just mentioning that the FX is supported is all.

Oh okay.

I sent it off. Hopefully that Gig isn't bought before I find out if my refund is fully accepted. It'll get there on Fiday. Now I just have to suffer my second PC. I know the problem with it. WIndows got messed up a little. And two of my four RAM sticks are shot (got them used and for free so no surprise). Wooo. :rolleyes:

Such is the life of a PC user. If only BioWare made it so that SW:TOR worked on Linux. I could use Virtual Box, or probably some other method to do it that way, but not right now. Not with only one PC and slow internet.

I must ask, in the off chance that someone else gets that Gig board, I'll probably end up buying a fully functional version of my old board.

Well that figures. The day my refund is approved is the day that Gigabyte board is purchased by someone else. I could have used the "Bill me later", but I wanted to wait until I knew I'd have the funds at a later date.

Any other boards that you suggest or anywhere else that Gig can be found? Or should I just go ahead and get another MSI 870?

I'd like to find something with an Optical and Digital (orange RCA) ports. USB 3.0 would be nice, but not necessary.

I would like the GA-990FXA-UD7, but finding it for a good price is proving very difficult. I'm also looking at these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131851
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131873
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131997

Ideas? Suggestions?

I'm leaning heavily towards the M5A99.

Nevermind my rant about the RAM. I didn't look in the Specifications list itself. The bullet point only lists two types of supported RAM. But the Specifications list has five.

Last edited:
Forget MSI. They're over rated. :p

The UD5 and UD7 are pretty much the same board. The UD7 just has a couple more do-dads.

He he.

Well that's cool. I'd prefer the UD7 because of the Optical and Digital audio ports.

What do you think about those Asus?

Back