• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI 970 Gaming fails to keep CPU unlocked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
GA-990FXA-UD7 (rev. 3.0) << Since that model board has gone to Rev 3.0, I have my doubts. When the UD3 went into Rev 3.0, the users had very poor FX overclocking support. Giga finally came with a Rev 4.0 of the UD3 and now seem to have replaced it altogether with the newer UD3P. So I have serious doubts as to what 'came' with moving the UD7 and UD5 to Rev 3.0.

Not nearly enough (0) new UD7 or UD5 Rev 3.0 users have said anything in these forums about the newest Revision 3.0. Maybe the Giga forums have some info but from where I sit and with what information is avaialble, I would still recommend only the 2 upper tier Asus AM3+ motherboards for a "serious" overclock and then the latest versions of most boards will n0t unlock older locked multiplier cpus.
RGone....

All I've been able to find out about the UD7 1.1 and the 3.0 is that the only difference is the 3.0 has a newer BIOS. Which doesn't tell me much.

If I have this straight, the upper 2 tiers of Asus AM3+ would be the 990X and 990FX, yes?

I've read that those Asus boards don't like to unlock the Phenom II x2. I've also read they will. I know the LTE and EVO are troublesome when it comes to that.

Whatever board I get, doesn't HAVE to be FX compatible. I consider that a bonus.

I'm still keeping an eye out for that GA-890FXA-ud5.

I'll answer my query above. Yes.

So I've decided that to make things easier, I'm either:

1) Going to save up to get a MB that is suited for the FX-6300. I can afford either the Sabertooth, Crosshair V, or M5A99 PRO R2.0. The only difference I can see is that one will mean an extra two or three weeks until I can afford the FX CPU, maybe. In the meantime, I will just deal with my overclocked X2 Dual Core, which is plenty for running things like TOR (I'm running it on an OC'd Core2 Duo right now). Then when I get the FX, I'll buy another 870-G45 and slap that into my secondary PC so my X2 can still be used and unlocked.

or

2) Just get the 870-G45 again as was mentioned by RGone in an earlier post and not worry about it until stuff really goes out.

Remember, the 870-G45 is one of the good guys.

I need a good consensus in either direction. More than two preferably saying yes for one.

I think based on what you are able to afford right now...

...Just get the 870-G45 again. I say this for a number of reasons.

1. You plan on buying one anyway to go into second computer and then run the 560 unlocked. So get it now.

2. I doubt you have any idea how WARM an FX processor can really run when you begin to push it with ALL the cores unlocked which is what happens when we overclock the FX processors and choose a specific multiplier with Turbocore disabled as it should be for overclocking.

3. An FX-6350 running 4.7Ghz will do a lot of work. However it is pretty certain that Xigmatek cpu cooler you have will not cool 4.7Ghz with 6 cores doing the boogey all the time.

So having been happy until X mobo failed and it is a relatively inexpensive mobo (you intend to buy one anyway for second computer), I suggest just replacing that mobo and going on with my computering.
RGone...ster.

Getting the 870 is what I'm going to do.

That Xigmatek won't be enough even with 2 120mm fans on it, huh?
Not enough copper in it, or is just something with the construction?

I just read the recommended CPU coolers. When the time comes, I'll get one of those.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links Rgone.

As an update to my status, I have acquired a functioning G45 and things are running smoothly.

Thanks for the links Rgone.

As an update to my status, I have acquired a functioning G45 and things are running smoothly.

Thought i would just mention if you ever decide to upgrade your mb again the asrock 990fx extreme 3 unlocks all phenom cores perfectly, i've unlocked my quad core 960t to 6 cores and its ran perfectly since the day they were unlocked. And for the record you're always going to be better of staying with your phenom, they are both virtually the same when both are running at the same ghz, the phenom is a true power house running on true cores non of this threads sh*t. I bought my 960t a year ago for £60 which is $94 and it included a noctua nh-12up cooler and i get a cinenech score of 7.66 at 4ghz the 8350 only gets a 7.91 at 4.8 ghz, so as you can see the phenom line of products still has alot of life left in it i think amd started to mess up when they stoped making true core processors.

Last edited:
I have a gaming 970 Motherboard which I just purchased too!! My phenom II x4 965's pins broke and I had an old phenom II x2 b59 laying around so that's what I had to use. Well, I never realized that this processor could actually be unlocked and work as a quad core!! After finding this out I wanted to unlock the potential of this processor because a dual core.. well, you can't play ANY games no matter how good your setup is, so I realized that there was a feature on my motherboard that automatically unlocks these cores.. Well on the gaming 970 it wasn't easy.. I tried and tried. (using OC genie and everything) NO PROGRESS... NOTHING! Well i kept raising the voltage, thinking that was the issue and that didn't work except make it overheat basically. Then i looked up the default clock for unlocked processors which is 1.4 for that specific one. Well automatically the voltage was at about 1.45 or maybe 1.46-7 even. Well, I figured I would LOWER it, hell why not? At least give it a try!! To my amazement... THIS WORKED. On the 970 gaming this is what you have to do to unlock those cores that you NEED! I'll post pics on what my settings are on my Mobo so you can copy or maybe try this yourself. I called MSI support and everything... and that was a JOKE I even told them about my solution so hopefully... yes, hopefully.. help someone else with the issue.. All they could tell me was, " well if it works, it works, if it doesn't, it doesn't...) like reallly!??... wow GREAT support guys... anyway I hope it helps, know this is an old post but this board isnt!!! GOOD LUCK!

well it seems that I can't post pictures on here unless I use some sort of hosting site..... :mad::mad::mad::mad: Well, I guess I can just say something or tell then. I turned all the cool n quiet features off and all features that can take voltage away. I even turned cpu smart protection off just in case. I lowered the voltage to 1.416 which was (-0.025000) Volts on my mobo bios settings. I also manually put the fsb at 220 which put me at 3740 Mhz. which I'm happy with 4 cores running at that my old 125w 925 phenom ii x4 didn't even have that kind of speed!!! only 2.8 on that one. It's insane to know how much better this dual core is compared to my quad core. Well, it IS a quad core now. If you have questions i'll try to answer if i can.

click go advanced, above the window is a row of icons, click the paperclip, it opens a smaller window and you can select and upload from there.

Back