• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI GT72 Pro Dominator G 1666 question, Broadwell based HM87

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cisco Kid

I decided to sell all my Skylake i5 6600 desktop system and move to a nice high performance gaming laptop. I am trying to find correct into perhaps the pros can advise.

I purchased the MSI GT72 Dominator Pro G with a Broadwell i7 5700, 980m GTX 4gb , Toshiba H6 M.2 Form 2280 128gb ssd & 1 TB HD. The board is based on HM87 chipset. I have a Kingston Predator AHCI 240 M.2 PCIe 2.0x4 Gen SSD form 2280. I am trying to figure out if this ssd can be used in this system. The Kingston offers 1400/600 speeds, The Toshiba H6 offers 550/450 I believe.

I originally ordered the same laptop but the new Skylake version w 6820HK, 970gtx w 1TB HD , 16 GB DDR4 & no G Sync. I felt the Broadwell based system was a worthwhile order change for the extra $230 US for the 980m w G Sync and the added 128 M.2 ssd which is also form 2280.

I have looked at the Toshiba 128 H6 and it looks slightly different in its plug in portion but if the M.2 ssd input is one slot the Kingston may work I am assuming. I know the Skylake version takes pcie ssd but can't find clear info in the pdf document of each.

Can anyone shed some light. If it will not work I will just add a second Toshiba H6 drive and Raid 0 them for better performance

How do he clock speeds of the two CPUs compare? For many games the most important factor is not brute computing power but single core performance.

How do he clock speeds of the two CPUs compare? For many games the most important factor is not brute computing power but single core performance.

What does this have to do with my question? Anyways the mobile i7 is equal to the desktop i5 roughly in single and multi threaded apps I believe. Does not matter anyways as I have left the desktop world and sold it all off. Just want to solve my question.

What does this have to do with my question? Anyways the mobile i7 is equal to the desktop i5 roughly in single and multi threaded apps I believe. Does not matter anyways as I have left the desktop world and sold it all off. Just want to solve my question.

I was just wondering why you decided to switch to Broadwell from Skylake. Was it because of the storage interface difference or because of CPU processing power difference?

I was just wondering why you decided to switch to Broadwell from Skylake. Was it because of the storage interface difference or because of CPU processing power difference?

No problem. I switched because the Broadwell setup for a laptop was just better especially for the $230 US price difference which provided a G-Sync IPS panel to a non G-Sync Skylake panel, a 980m 4gb vs 970m 3gb and offered a 128 M.2 OS ssd plus 1TB HD vs Skylake w only a 1TB drive. The gpu to me I wanted the best option as I need this laptop to get me 2-3 yes. All I am trying to confirm is whether I can get a pair of ahci Kingston 240 pcie 2.0 x 4 ssd into the system in a raid 0 config.

Clock speed between the i7 5700 and 6820HK from everything I have read is the same. Broadwell is actually better in single thread. The diff in ddr3 to ddr4 is nothing between the 2. I wanted to sell my desktop gear and basically buy a high end laptop the equivalent value. I still have items to sell and will actually be ahead. Played around with desktops long enough and a laptop will prevent me from performing needless upgrades just because I can.

Last edited:
Okay, makes sense now. The Broadwell package had several upgraded components. Yeah, performance wise there is no real advantage in going with DDR4 unless you are doing a lot of heavy duty file compression/decompression type work. For most common apps there will be no difference.

Broadwell isn't close $230 better... in fact, its slower than skylake (outside of the rare app that can use its EDO memory). You paid more to go backwards, at least CPU wise. DDR4 makes little to no difference in the vast majority of application as trents mentioned.

I have to be honest.. I am confused (easily accomplished at time, LOL). I THINK what you need to do is see what speed the M.2 port is on your laptop. If it is SATA based M.2, there really isn't a point to upgrade to a faster drive as its still limited to SATA speeds. Find that out, know what speeds yours drives are (you do), and you can make an educated choice. :)

Broadwell isn't close $230 better... in fact, its slower than skylake (outside of the rare app that can use its EDO memory). You paid more to go backwards, at least CPU wise. DDR4 makes little to no difference in the vast majority of application as trents mentioned.

I have to be honest.. I am confused (easily accomplished at time, LOL). I THINK what you need to do is see what speed the M.2 port is on your laptop. If it is SATA based M.2, there really isn't a point to upgrade to a faster drive as its still limited to SATA speeds. Find that out, know what speeds yours drives are (you do), and you can make an educated choice. :)

I agree with some of your points however the most important item for me was the fastest mobile graphics card. Had I opted to go for the Skylake 6820HK we 980m it was going to be substantially more and I would rarely bother to overclock the 6i20hk. The Skylake benefits of a better integrated gpu mean nothing to me. The slight power savings again are slight and will mean nothing as the laptop will be 95% a desktop replacement. From what I have read and comparisons between the 2 are close in South e scenarios however the 980m is 25% better than the 970 and the g sync panel is better. I can not confirm if the HM87 has pcie ssd the pdf specs at msi show both the Skylake and Broadwell systems as m.2 Sara but I know Skylake supports pcie ssd in nvme and ahci. If the Hm87 does not then I will just sell my pcie ssd and add a second d 128 Toshiba H6 to the Broadwell system and raid 0 it. Going Skylake and having to replace the gpu to better than a 970m at a later date would cost more than $230. For me I already know I could still be running a past i7 2700 I had on z77 platform and it would still get the jobs done I need it to w a fast current gpu.

To each their own. I would have paid the premium to have it all, particularly being a 'desktop replacement'. Oh well. :)

Keep us posted on what you find as far as the specs for the laptop/m.2 as that is what will be your deciding factor really.

To each their own. I would have paid the premium to have it all, particularly being a 'desktop replacement'. Oh well. :)

Keep us posted on what you find as far as the specs for the laptop/m.2 as that is what will be your deciding factor really.

I believe the M.2 sata connection HM87 in this GT72 is wired to the pcie bus and it will support my pcie 2.0x4 ssd in its 2280 form. I hear you on Going with the premium model that has it all but I decided to change my mind as I had ordered the skylake model originally but changed to the Broadwell. The fastest current gpu along w g sync was more important to me. If I am wrong w my assumption based on research then I will just add a second Toshiba H6 ssd and raid 0 both of them for better transfer speeds.

I already had the vendor change the order and asked for the item to be shipped in the 19th as we are in a European summer vacation centered around soccer for my son, having a blast in Croatia at the moment. Funds are no longer getting directed to continually revising my desktop are now being put towards my latest toy being my 15 WRX and taking it to Stage 2+ along w cosmetic and suspension mods. Since I don't game as much as in past this particular laptop should serve me as well. Getting pcie 2.0x4 support will be a bonus and if not I can just sell the ssd off.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...e-interface-that-will-speed-up-your-next-ssd/

Just found this
https://de.msi.com/pic/faq/10016371@2015-1001-0937-179785@faq_0000000001117_en.pdf

Looks like the ssd I have is an M key based one not a B key even being ahci based so I look to sol..... At least I think I solved my issue but will wait till I receive it before ordering another ssd for raid 0

Last edited:
Back