• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE MSI GTX 780 Lightning Edition Pictures Leaked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's a shame that Nvidia locks the cards down like crazy. Hopefully MSI can work their magic and make a card that overclocks well without an E-Power board soldered on. :rolleyes:

That's nothing though. :-/ Most AMD cards go that high without ANY software modifications. And when you modify the software on a card like the 7970 Lightning, you get up to 1.8vgpu with just software editing.

That's nothing though. :-/ Most AMD cards go that high without ANY software modifications. And when you modify the software on a card like the 7970 Lightning, you get up to 1.8vgpu with just software editing.

Still a big leap from before!

This'll be the card of MOA this year, MSI knows something, don't worry.
Also, that power section is zomg. Makes Asus' efforts look... silly. I know those MOSFETs, they are very very good.

Too bad the fans are hideous, but whatever.

Let me put it this way: Four of those MOSFETs would be about equal to the stock Titan/780 power bits. Maybe five if we're being really generous.

On the other hand, they're also something like $5/each I think.

That is a serious card with a power section that has nothing to envy to a high-end motherboard. I'm thinking this will be a record setter for guys using LN2, especially with the third BIOS which is said to "primes the GPU for liquid-nitrogen cooling-assisted overclocking".

The color scheme might not be to everybody's taste though, and I am left wondering how noisy those fans can be with their straight blade design...

That is a serious card with a power section that has nothing to envy to a high-end motherboard. I'm thinking this will be a record setter for guys using LN2, especially with the third BIOS which is said to "primes the GPU for liquid-nitrogen cooling-assisted overclocking".

The color scheme might not be to everybody's taste though, and I am left wondering how noisy those fans can be with their straight blade design...

Anybody pushing that card hard won't look at those fans for long though.

Just a note. We have one in our hands. We did not publish today per MSI's request as they want to put its best foot forward.

The issue I saw, and other reviewers also reported, is that you can barely use it to it's potential because of the low 109% power limit. As you will see in my review (likely next Monday), I was able to get 1202 MHz boost and 1600 MHz memory WITHOUT touching the voltage and that in itself managed to tickle 107%.

I am guessing, and will let you know in the review (I should know by then), that the new bios will be available for DL and hopefully ship with new cards moving forward. No idea what the limit will be. The 760 HAWK was 185% so I am gopeful for at least that.

Hang tight peeps. :)

Just a note. We have one in our hands. We did not publish today per MSI's request as they want to put its best foot forward.

The issue I saw, and other reviewers also reported, is that you can barely use it to it's potential because of the low 109% power limit. As you will see in my review (likely next Monday), I was able to get 1202 MHz boost and 1600 MHz memory WITHOUT touching the voltage and that in itself managed to tickle 107%.

I am guessing, and will let you know in the review (I should know by then), that the new bios will be available for DL and hopefully ship with new cards moving forward. No idea what the limit will be. The 760 HAWK was 185% so I am gopeful for at least that.

Hang tight peeps. :)

Man, 1202/1600 hit 107%?!?
Here's hoping for a 200% power limit for Joe!

I've been following the 780 Lightning for a few weeks and was looking forward to reading your/OCF's review... hopefully the new bios will show just how beastly this card is.

Thanks for the link!

You can see that they also had throttling issues in their overclocking section. Curiously, it wasn't mentioned. In the MSI AB SS you can see it didnt hold those clocks and was fluctuating throughout. THat said, they got more out of that card than I could under the 109% limit, that is for sure. Perhaps it is less leaky or something?

EDIT: They also say three bios... it has two according to MSI...the stocker and LN2 bios...

Last edited:
Not a fan of the fan design, very strange that it allows asynchronous fan control too.

Was waiting on this card to see how well it stacked against the Classified and HoF under stock cooler, I don't feel as impressed as I thought I would be with it :/

Back