• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI GX60 - How to force CPU to 3.2GHz under Windows 8/8.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VAMET

Dear Friends

First of all I would like to say hello to everybody, it's my first post here! :)

I own notebook MSI GX60 3BE with AMD A10-5750M and Radeon HD 8970M. When I had Windows 7, I have used AMD PSCheck to force my CPU to don't work below 3.2GHz. Now I have got Windows 8.1, but as far as I know AMD PSCheck doesn't work with this OS.

Do you know any method/application to force CPU to work/lock at 3.2GHz under Windows 8.1?

Windows Power Scheme with High Performance profile method doesn't force CPU to work all the time 3.2GHz, it's more flexible, because it sometimes drops under 3.2GHz, which is visible as performance drop in games.

I have installed AMD OverDrive, but I don't know how and if it's possible to lock CPU to 3.2GHz like in AMD PSCheck under Windows 7.

EDIT

I will be glad for any support and information, if it's possible to achieve such option via AMD OverDrive?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this works with APUs but with other CPUs the core speed multiplier may be locked in the upward direction but typically is not in the downward direction. To put it another way, With a non "k" CPU you can ofter lower the core speed multiplier even though you can't raise it. Have you looked in bios to see if you have a setting for that? The multiplier would be 32x for 3.2 ghz. Maybe you can lower it to 31x or 30x or whatever.

Why do you want to slow your processor down, anyway?

I'm not sure if this works with APUs but with other CPUs the core speed multiplier may be locked in the upward direction but typically is not in the downward direction. To put it another way, With a non "k" CPU you can ofter lower the core speed multiplier even though you can't raise it. Have you looked in bios to see if you have a setting for that? The multiplier would be 32x for 3.2 ghz. Maybe you can lower it to 31x or 30x or whatever.

You misunderstood. He wants it to stay at 3.2 all the time. ;)

@ OP- AMD PScheck does work with W8.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/msi/692264-offical-msi-gx60-owners-lounge-244-print.html

Last edited:
Dear Friends

Thank you very mych for your fast replies - trents and Mr.Scott.

AMD A10-5750M is 2.5GHz-3.5GHz, where 3.5GHz is not possible, but 3.2GHz without any problems. As Mr. Scott said, I don't want to slow my CPU, I want to keep 3.2GHz such way, it will never go under.

You misunderstood. He wants it to stay at 3.2 all the time. ;)

Yes, it's correct. Maybe it's my poor English, which is not my first language. So sorry for that.

I want to keep 3.2GHz for the time of playing games. PSCheck does it very well under Windows 7.

Hmm, thank you for providing this specific URL. I will study it, I thought that lots of people said that PSCheck doesn't work with Windows 8/8.1, that it hangs and use lots of memory resources for example:

I haven't tested with Windows 7, but I know that on Windows 8, PSCheck just hangs and eats up memory.

Yeah Windows 8 PSCheck does not work according to hundreds of people,I haven't personally tried it taking their word for it.

It does work for windows 7 that is for sure Myself and many friends use / used it.

On my laptop (win8 x64), the software is lauching in the task manager and its memory allocation is constantly increasing (after a couple of minutes its reaching nearly 2 go !). But no PSCheck's window appearing at all ! Which version are you using ?

Thank you once more.

PS. Are there any possiblity to achieve such option via AMD OverDrive?

Sincerely

You need to extract the latest drivers for 8.1 the 13.15 I believe, and copy the drivers folder under packages to the 13.8 beta 7 packages folder then install.

Thanks for having respondifo, I have done what you told me, but it works. Realize cleaning system with driver sweep in safe mode and the same thing happens to me, is really strange. Com my nvidia never had these problems

Overdrive will not accomplish what you want.

Dear Mr.Scott

Overdrive will not accomplish what you want.

Yes, but for now there are AMD Catalyst Drivers 14.7, which are very good and give performance boost for lots of my games. I rather don't want to revert to older ones.

OK. Thank you once more for your support. I have asked at The Offical MSI GX60 Owners Lounge on that Notebook Review forum. Lets check, what they will say about PSCheck and Windows 8.1.

Sincerely

Dear Mr.Scott

Yes, but for now there are AMD Catalyst Drivers 14.7, which are very good and give performance boost for lots of my games. I rather don't want to revert to older ones.
I understand.
It may come down to having to choose between one or the other though. GL :)

Okay, so were talking about the turbo mode when referring to the 3.5 ghz speed.

Dear Friends

I have installed PSCheck 3.4.1.0277 under Windows 8.1. So far I have noticed that it's working without any problems.

Thank you once more for your help.

Sincerely

Back