• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Infinite S into new case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ParkerAto

Hey.

As the title suggests I'm wanting to put the internals of the MSI into a new case.

Not new to pc's but new to the world of playing around inside. Just ordered this new rig at a very good price as my old MSI laptop died on me but really not a fan of the case.

From photos it looks very cramped, will it be the same if it was put it into a bigger case because the way its designed?

Sorry for the very boring and no doubt easily answered question.

Regards

Welcome to the forums ParkerAto!

I was unable to find information about the motherboard form factor. I would venture to guess it is either a mITX or mATX board, meaning it will work with any case capable of housing these form factors. If the motherboard is not a standard form factor (Dell is notorious for this) then it might not be as easy.

Another factor to consider is the included power supply (PSU). It appears the PSU included with the Infinite S is either a SFF (small form factor) or proprietary design. The new case you choose will need to be able to fit the SFF PSU or you may be able to replace it with a standard ATX power supply. Also, there are SFF adaptor plates to install a SFF PSU into a standard ATX opening. Also, you'll want to verify that all the connectors are current standard connectors. Dell used to be horrible for making up standards as they go. I doubt that is the case here but certainly something to consider.

If you are uncertain of anything, post additional questions with pics and we will help you identify/verify what ever you are questioning. There is a link to recommended cases in my signature if you are undecided on what case to get.

Hey Blaylock

Thank you for the reply.

Upon delving further into websites and visiting multiple online stores I think I’ve found the answer to the motherboard, apparently it’s an H410 mATX. Although someone mentioned in another forum post the board inside was designed for the infinite s so the mounting points are different. I take it this would warrant a new motherboard for a new case?

I think it is a SFF from what I’ve read and watched. I take it replacing it with an ATX power supply wouldn’t be an issue if it came to it?

Currently waiting on the mail man to deliver it Wednesday, will get it opened up and upload photos. Hopefully help other too.

Thinking that it's a MSI proprietary MB. Nothing on their data sheets regarding the MB although they no doubt are building the unit specifically with ease of transport for gaming in mind; they know how to build a lot of MBs so it's workable, just not likely you'll find the MB separately at a retailer. Like Blaylock said, photos would be very helpful.

Here is the MB layout as specified by the industry standard schematics. You can measure the board once you have it in hand and determine if it is standard or not.

matx layout.JPG

Last edited:
So it turned up!

Sorry I can’t imbed photos as I’m on my phone so had to host and paste a link.

https://ibb.co/KN4WCvR
https://ibb.co/GHhwDWC

I did boot the system up and cmd prompt to see the mobo model number. MS-B9331, it hasn’t shown up anywhere on the internet or even MSI’s website. It actually throws up some very nice office chairs.

If you'd like, upload your images directly to the forums. Then as the years pass they will always be with your thread. :)

Btw, Welcome!

Back