• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K7D need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

attack

Ok I got an MSI K7D, and I just rewired a PSU, I have 2 sticks of non registedred non ECC RAM, and I got 2 XP1600+'s that I've unlocked multipliers succesfuly and attemtped the MP unlock but have no way of checking. Anyway my board will power on. With no RAM it hangs and displays hangs on the RED GREEN RED RED which is memory test...makes sense right? but when I put either stick in instead of hanging at memory check it goes past it and then flashes some other things really fast, goes to all RED and shuts down. Anyone able to offer me any insight?

OP
attack

attack

Also, I don't have a -5v line is this needed for this board, I know some ATX boards don't need that, also do 3.3v sense lines and 5.5v sense lines get used?

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
I have no idea about the voltages. Are you trying to re-use an AT power supply or something?

Try using one CPU and one stick of RAM at a time. See if that helps.

OP
attack

attack

PSU is a 510 watt antec designed for the tyan thunder and Iwill MXP.... tried 1cpu and same thing happens powers up and then shuts down

ok after some more messing around, it starts up and shutsdown...with the PCI video card in , nothing comes uyp on the screen but it hangs when trying to access boot from HD which is formatted so it hangs which makes sense....anyone able to help me here?

Last edited:

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
Are you using just one stick of RAM?

Have you tried each of the CPU's in single-cpu mode?

Are you sure, you're putting them in CPU1 and not CPU2?

If you have any devices attached to the motherboard, disconnect them. No floppy, hard drive, anything, just motherboard, CPU, memory and video card. Also, try using a different video card, if you have one. You may just be having a video card incompatibility issue.

OP
attack

attack

I tried my radeon 8500 and it powers for a split second then stops....but with my TNT 2 it will start up for like 5 seconds before it shuts down.....I'll see if I can find a 3rd card...and yeah using 1 stick, and the CPU was in the first slot...i'm back to 2 same results both ways. I'm pretty sure it's a video issue...

OP
attack

attack

my keyboard works because I can enter the BIOS and hit f10 and then enter and it will start the post all over....so can someone give me directions on once i'm in on how to change the initial display from whatever it's at to something else? I need like up up enter left up enter....etc etc pretend I'm blind.....cuz well I am.

*EDIT* IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!

I used antoehr PCI video card I had lying around (first one worked too i checked like 5 times) and I just kept trying and finaly! I'll keep everyone posted....man what a piece of work!

Last edited:

FunkDaMonkMan

heh i just got my k7d system togther also...

my problem was a HD / FLOPPY drive problem...

glad to hear ya got it

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
There is a new BIOS that is supposed to fix some video issues. Find out what BIOS you have and update yours if necessary. It sounds like that might be your problem.

OP
attack

attack

how do you flash the k7D it doens't say at post like my 8k3a....

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
You have to use a boot floppy with the flash program and new BIOS on it. There are instructions on MSI's webpage.

If you don't have BIOS 1.3 or higher, then flash to the new one.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
How long do you have to wait before you know it's done?

Would a PCI video card show text during the bios flash?

I heard a AGP is a complete black screen during the process.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
That's not true. I have flashed the BIOS with AGP video cards and PCI video cards. It works exactly the same. It show you the process and everything. Just read the instruction off of the download page. It's really not hard.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
That means MSI has it together as people using other mobo flashes didn't have it so good. One more reason I'm going with this board. :D

OP
attack

attack

ok the BIOS was version 1.3 and it's still having those problems? does the -5v line play a role with the AGP slot at all? my PSU doens't have a -5v line but from what i've gathered it's jnot needed.