• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K7N2 Delta-L and AMD Barton 2500+ HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

x_cha0s_x

*SORRY- Move me too the MOTHERBOARDS > AMD > MSI Section, Thanks :)

Hi... I REALLY need help!
My MSI K7N2 Delta-L board just arrived [actualy it arrived on tuesday] and my AMD Barton 2500+ 333FSB with 512KB, so I eagerly installed it, checked everything and it all looked fine, booted the baby up- and DAMN! the computer keeps turning it self of after 3 seconds of powering it on [there are no beeps]... I've tried more RAM, another Video Card, No RAM, NO VC, etc... I'm now at the stage were I just have the motherboard, processor and PSU linked up. I've narrowed it down to being the PSU, Motherboard or Processor. I most likely thought it was the PSU that was draging behind because it was only 300 watts [and from what I've read, I at least need an 400 watts], and today [wednesday] I went to the shop and brought an 550 watts PSU- ATX 12V, plugged it in and it doesn't work, STILL!

So now it has to be the motherboard or processor right?
I put my NEW processor into my OLD motherboard [which is now in a case of its own]...Started it up, and BAM! it works... no problem
So your proberly thinking it's the motherboard, yeah?
NO, it's not- and to check this I put my OLD processor into my NEW motherboard and that works fine too... I've got to the point were I'm totaly stuck, I have NO idea what-so-ever of what to do now and was hoping you wonderful guys here could help me....

Oh- and I've tried messing with jumper settings [including a reset of the CMOS], which doesnt work either.

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:

DaWiper

Image Compare Man
Strange...
Have you tried the 'safe-mode' jumper(100fsb)? If that doesn't do it, well, I honestly don't have a clue.

OP
X

x_cha0s_x

Nope. I written to MSI the other day, and they just got back to me, saying this:
Dear Customer,
It sounds like it could be the thermal diode protection built into the XP cpus. Make sure the heatsink fan is getting good contact on the core of the cpu, if the heatsink fan is not getting good contact this would cause the thermal diode protection to turn on, which would shut your system automatically.

And the heatsink is firmly in position, and will not go down anymore...

The Coolest

You should still try to see if you haven't put it on the wrong way, it can seem that its on the right way when actually it isn't.

OP
X

x_cha0s_x

It's in its correct position, according to the manual and I've tried it the other way, but it still turns it self off :(
But nevermind... I'm getting an refund on the board + CPU, thanks for your help anyway guys! :)