• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K7T Pro......cpu host/pci clock ?? mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

App

Played a bit with the FSB settings in the BIOS of my MSI K7T Pro. Got my 1 ghz Tbird @ 1090 mhz now and it's running very stable (FOP 38 - 37 C.)

Have set the FSB at 109. Core Voltage @ 1.85.

Question: to change the FSB (CPU Host/PCI Clock in BIOS) you automatically change the PCI clock setting (100/33, 102/34, 105/35, 107/36). What does this 'PCI Clock' mean? Will this higher setting affect something in a negative way?

Thanks

Whats the answer to your question b/c I would like to understand it. Thanks.

Cpu clock means the FSB and 'pci clock' stands for the speed the pci connectors are running at. This is like for the graphic card always lower than the FSB.

Lozer (Jan 16, 2001 06:27 p.m.):

The pci bus is set to a certain divisor of the fsb speed - 1/3 for a 100MHz bus, hence 35 for 105 etc (as pointed out above). AGP runs at twice this = 66MHz, AGP2X at 133, and 4X at 266 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong someone, 266MHz always seemed fast :) ). So raising the fsb puts strain on anything running off the fsb - like everything in the comp pretty much.

Rob Cork (Jan 18, 2001 11:32 a.m.):
Lozer (Jan 16, 2001 06:27 p.m.):

The pci bus is set to a certain divisor of the fsb speed - 1/3 for a 100MHz bus, hence 35 for 105 etc (as pointed out above). AGP runs at twice this = 66MHz, AGP2X at 133, and 4X at 266 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong someone, 266MHz always seemed fast :) ). So raising the fsb puts strain on anything running off the fsb - like everything in the comp pretty much.

Correct this board set' the divisor at 3 if you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the fsb/pci setting there is a setting of 130/33 but haven't got it to work. This is with bios ver 1.8

Yes, you are right regarding the PCI and AGP speed.
I had to go down at an FSB of 107 instead of 109. While running some programs, the pc locked. Looks like it's running fine @ 1070. Try to pencil trick the bridges as described in Tom's Hardware ' Overclocking the...' (I targeted on the 1.2 ghz setting) but I'm still getting the same multiplier. With the MSI K7T Pro I cannot change the multiplier (neither in the BIOS nor with jumpers). I'm using BIOS version 2.0 (see MSI website for BIOS download). Also Pencil Tricking like described in the Tom's Hardware article does not change my multiplier. Has anybody some other suggestions how to change the multiplier, bypassing the mobo?

App (Jan 18, 2001 03:33 p.m.):
Yes, you are right regarding the PCI and AGP speed.
I had to go down at an FSB of 107 instead of 109. While running some programs, the pc locked. Looks like it's running fine @ 1070. Try to pencil trick the bridges as described in Tom's Hardware ' Overclocking the...' (I targeted on the 1.2 ghz setting) but I'm still getting the same multiplier. With the MSI K7T Pro I cannot change the multiplier (neither in the BIOS nor with jumpers). I'm using BIOS version 2.0 (see MSI website for BIOS download). Also Pencil Tricking like described in the Tom's Hardware article does not change my multiplier. Has anybody some other suggestions how to change the multiplier, bypassing the mobo?

Back