• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K7T266 Pro 2 compatibility with Athlon XP 2800+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ultra Josh

Registered
This is mainly processor related:

I have an
MSI K7T266 Pro 2
FSB 200/266 MHz
AMD Athtalon XP 1800+

Just to be sure, this means I can only run a processor that has a FSB of 266MHz, right? Which means I shouldn't get the AMD Athlon XP 2800+ "Barton", 333MHz FSB, 512K Cache Processor, it just won't run right?

Maxvla

you've got a fairly dated board (chipset) you would need to look it up on MSIs' site to see what it is compatible with. keep in mind that there may be bios updates to extend compatibility to newer processors.

as far as the fsb issue. if your board has adjustments for 166mhz and can do it stably i don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

OP
U

Ultra Josh

Registered
Yes, it is sadly and I was wondering if it would be worth getting a new board rather than waiting for the FX chips to settle down in price. But if the new CPU will work I don't really see the point in upgrading the board now.

[edit]I just checked MSI and it says this "Supports Socket A for AMD® Athlon™/Athlon™ XP/Duron™ processor
• Supports 800MHz up to 2100+ MHz processor "

I'll stick with my board for now, it looks like it should run the CPU.

Last edited:

dgk

There is a thread about this on the MSI newsgroup. I read it because I have the same board with a 1600+ and was looking to upgrade it. The response to "what processor will this run" is:
--------------------------------------------------------
"Officially this board supports up to the XP2100+ Palomino core CPU. Unofficially, after removing capacitor C37, it will support up to a 266MHz FSB XP2600+ Thoroughbred core CPU. You should also update the BIOS to version 3.70 so that the CPU will be properly identified during POST.

I am running my MSI K7T266 Pro2-RU with an XP2400+ Thoroughbred. None of the vendors where I live was able to supply an XP2600+ 266MHz FSB Thoroughbred because they are almost impossible to find. I don't think the Bartons will work properly, if at all."

"Mike Spezzano" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:md%Hb.283$[email protected]...
--------------------------------------------------------

Anyone up for some nice capacitor surgery?

timzak

I don't have the most steady hands and ended up frying my K7t266 Pro2 trying this mod.

The vendor I purchased my 2100+ sent me a Tbred chip (I didn't even know that my board was compatible with Palomino only), so when it didn't work, I did some research and discovered this mod. The funny thing is, after I fried the mobo, I looked closer at the cpu and it turns out the vendor actually sent me a 2200+ while invoicing me for a 2100+.

Since I'd already spent my upgrade money on the cpu, I had to find the cheapest replacement mobo possible, so I ended up with the Abit KV7, rather than an Nforce2 mobo.

OP
U

Ultra Josh

Registered
:eek: Yikes guys, I'm not going to do any board surgery. My steadiness ranges from rock solid to 90 year old lady depending on day and time, it'll be too dangerous for me.:D

I'll just buy a new board, I have extra money set aside for just such an occasion. Thanks for the help.