• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K9A2-Platunum power problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KenM2k

Ok guys and gals. I'm kinda torn on my decision. Last night I had what I think was an overheating issue. PC shut down and after a few moments it was able to be powered back up. Then about an hour or two later it did it again. But this time it would not power back up. I took pc apart cleaned it out really good. It was a mess. Guess I should of cleaned it out alot sooner. Anyway. I let it sit all night and it still would not power up this morning. I tested the power supply by jumping the green and black wires to see if the power supply worked. Luckily it did power up. So at least that is working. Hooked power supply back into the motherboard and still no go. Power button on case and the power button on the motherboard does nothing. Disconnect power supply from motherboard but leave all the peripherals hooked up to the power supply. All peripherals and anything else hooked up to it still power up and work (hard drives, fans, DVD ROM etc..). Hook power supply back up to motherboard and nothing. So while having everything hooked up I jumper the green and black wires on the power supply to motherboard connector. Everything powers up and works as it should. But if I remove that jumper. Nothing happens. Is it my power supply or is it the motherboard?

Thanks in advance.

System Specs....

MSI K9A2-Platunum
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb Quad-Core 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 125W
GeIL Black Dragon 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2
ENERMAX Liberty ELT620AWT 620W

Board

But that PSU is very dated and I'm pretty sure there was a recall or something on the Liberty series.
That was like 10 years ago.

Thanks. I figured it was the board. Just wanted a different opinion. Ya my whole system is dated. I'll have too look into that recall. Thanks again.

A motherboard component has failed. Long in the tooth. It's time for a major upgrade as likely the other components are also about the same age and in addition quite technologically behind.

Board

But that PSU is very dated and I'm pretty sure there was a recall or something on the Liberty series.
That was like 10 years ago.

I looked into the recall but could not find any information on it. So I sent them a support ticket to find out for sure. Thanks for the heads up.

A motherboard component has failed. Long in the tooth. It's time for a major upgrade as likely the other components are also about the same age and in addition quite technologically behind.

Yes I know it's time for a major upgrade. But lack the funds to do so. So i'll just have to get a board that supports this processor and get new memory to go with it.

Yes I know it's time for a major upgrade. But lack the funds to do so. So i'll just have to get a board that supports this processor and get new memory to go with it.

If I were you i would save that money and put it towards the upgrade unless you can find one super duper cheap.

If I were you i would save that money and put it towards the upgrade unless you can find one super duper cheap.

I'm just looking to keep it up and running for now. Looking into these components to keep it alive for now. They are cheap and will get me by till I can save up money for the good stuff.

GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P FX
Mushkin Enhanced Stealth 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

Back