• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI P6N Memory problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tourist76

The motherboard has 4 memory slots. I have 2 X 2GB Patriot PC2-6400 (4-4-4-12), 2.2V, the problem is that whenever i put one of the modules into slot 1 or 2 the system won't boot (it stops even before video card).
Only working combination is slot 3 and 4 but theres no dual channel then. For Dual channel is 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. Patriot is not on the list of supporting memory. Any suggestions anyone?

And to make things funnier the system worked good with slots 1 an 3 and dual channel for 2 days:))!, then after turning the computer off it wouldn't go up again. I spent 1 day breaking my head and came out with this 3+4 slot solution.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Welcome to O/C Forums :welcome:

This is how it works:

1&3 = Dual Channel
2&4 = Dual Channel

1&2 = Single Channel
3&4 = Single Channel

If you was running in DC mode, mow you cannot, the board is fubared

If slots 1 & 2 are both damaged and the board refuses the boot, the board is fubared

I'm afraid to tell you..but your board is defective. You have to RMA.

I suggest getting one of these instead and leave MSI. Their video cards are awsome, but their boards are not.

Abit
Asus
Gigabyte
DFI