• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI RX9800 Pro on newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Coolest

The place for the floppy connector is definatly not good, as it will interfere with the heatsink. But the card looks like a 256bit one, as the memory is L shaped, and not a straight line.

Flip-Mode

MSI don't actually make a 128-bit card so you can be sure this one is OK.
MSI ship these babys with the XT core so for 195$ this is one great deal, would buy it myself if I wasn't in Israel.

The Coolest

Actually KSP.co.il is carrying these cards. I live in Israel as well, and I definatly think that the hardware market here sucks. I've just ordered a Rad9500Pro from ebay as a cheap card to hold me through the year till I do a major upgrade on the whole system

Flip-Mode

Yeah they do but they are still around 100$ more expensive then in the US, I'm flying to Las Vegas next month so I'll just wait. For 310$, wich is what the MSI costs here I can get an X800 :)

The Coolest

Oh. You're so lucky... ;) I got the 9500Pro for $108 shipped. supposed to arrive any day now.

juliendogg

Flip-Mode said:
X800 is still the old 9800 buffed up :)
Still I just love it, if I can get the cash...

Not at all true. the X800 is a completely new core architecture, ddr3, 12 or 16 pipelines for the pro/XT vs. the 9800's 8 pipes. there are more differences than i could list in a post. Have a read on ATI's product pages. If you'd like to learn something about the X800 that'd be a good place to start. There are loads of reviews and benchies floating around also.

sorry for the threadjack.

J.

Chuckman

juliendogg said:
Not at all true. the X800 is a completely new core architecture, ddr3, 12 or 16 pipelines for the pro/XT vs. the 9800's 8 pipes. there are more differences than i could list in a post. Have a read on ATI's product pages. If you'd like to learn something about the X800 that'd be a good place to start. There are loads of reviews and benchies floating around also.

sorry for the threadjack.

J.

iirc, ati's been saying that the x800 is just a modification to the r360, basically two of them shrunk down and put on the same die (its a bit more complex than that, thats the basics of what ive been hearing). ive seen this being said in at least two reviews of it.

but to the topic at hand, yes the msi 9800 is 256-bit, yes it has an r360 core, hynix 2.8ns RAM, and yes the power connector is in a funky place. although that last thing isnt much of a problem in my case, it takes a bit away from the looks, but a little creative wire managment and it wont bother you. the software bundle more than makes up for it.

OP
t_biggs

t_biggs

Chuckman said:
but to the topic at hand, yes the msi 9800 is 256-bit, yes it has an r360 core, hynix 2.8ns RAM, and yes the power connector is in a funky place. although that last thing isnt much of a problem in my case, it takes a bit away from the looks, but a little creative wire managment and it wont bother you. the software bundle more than makes up for it.

That makes me want to buy this. Its the cheapest 9800 Pro I've seen (new.) Plus it is basically an XT. But I need to save my money. But anyway, does the VGA silencer fit on this card? The heatsink looks like its attached differently than a normal 9800 heatsink.

scornduffer

I just bought this card come s with a connector that connects to the(floppy looking end)goes on the card and the other end hooks into one of the power supply connectors. This is required on the MSI 9800 Pro card. I have it and love it. I sold my old Radeon 9600 for $75.00 and bought this card.