• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI Ti4200 with only 150 pt increase in 3DMark despite 300/600 clock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fuzzba11

I've overclocked my MSI GF4 Ti4200 from the defaults of 250/513 core/mem up to 300/600, and I only got a 174 point increase in 3DMark 2001 SE using defaults and the pro version tests.

First test result at defaults was 6000 3D Marks, and at 300/600, 6174; my core system is a 750 MHz Duron(which refuses to overclock decently, and is a backup chip for my 1800+ which is being RMAd), Crucial DDR PC2100 running at 100 MHz FSB, Shuttle AK31A mobo.

Is this increase normal and I'm just out of the loop, or should the differences in scores between defaults and a pretty high overclock be wider?

nodsetse

Well I know a Duron 750 will cause you to be very limited, as you really need a faster CPU to push a ti4200...but I agree that one would still expect more of a difference between stock and OC'd results. Make sure AA and AF are turned off and that it's set to "max performance" as opposed to "best image quality", since having any of those on will result in less difference between stock and OC'd scores. Not sure what else to say at this point, except the 40.72 drivers work very well for everything, including 3DM. You should be able to break 9K with the 1800+. :)

Kato

Addicted Tweaker
Your CPU is the bottleneck here. Your videocard is being limited by your CPU, so no matter how fast you clock your GPU/MEM at, its still way faster than the CPU, and the CPU can't keep up with your card. Try to bench your card with the xp1800, that 174pts will be like 500-1000pts increase:D

asw7576

Duron 750? no wonder..... strongly agree with Kato's opinion about bandwidth and bottleneck on Duron 750.

OP
fuzzba11

fuzzba11

Alright, I suspected it(of course), but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some hidden settings(ie: maximum performance over image quality, I had forgotten about it, and will bench that today).

Sending off the dead 1800+ tomorrow, hopefully it will be back within two weeks *sniff*

nodsetse

fuzzba11 said:
...I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some hidden settings(ie: maximum performance over image quality, I had forgotten about it...
Well then don't forget that each time you update drivers, the default will be set back to quality, not performance. ;)