• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI X470 gaming pro and Ryzen 5 2600X help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scottiedogg

Registered
Hi guys,

I’m the usual long term lurker first time poster but I’m truly stumped on this one.

I’m trying to build myself a new mid range PC and have got myself the following:-

MSI X470 gaming Pro mobo
Ryzen 5 2600x cpu
Adata spectrix D40 DDR4 2666 16gb ram (2x 8gb)
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6gb gpu

Once fully assembled I can’t get the pc to post and I get the cpu light on the EZ debug lights. I’ve tried reseating the cpu, taken it all back out of the case to make sure it’s not shorting out in the case, I’ve gone back to basics with nothing attached, I tried one ram stick etc to no avail. Eventually I concluded either the mobo or the cpu must be faulty. I’m now on my 2nd one of each and still no further forward.

I’ve also got myself an A6 cpu which fires into life on this mobo which I used to flash the bios to version 1.5 in case it needs the latest version but still no joy so now I’m at my wits end and looking for some other flashes of inspiration. I’ve done numerous cmos resets using both the button and bridging the jumpers so I’m completely stuck now.

Beginning to think that the X470 mobo and the 2600X processor just aren’t compatible.

Sorry for longish post but just want to use my new PC [emoji22]

Thanks in advance

I have no added suggestions as to troubleshooting this issue personally, but from what you have described I would conclude that the CPU you received was DOA give that with a different CPU you are able to post and get to bios. This to me at least suggest that the rest of the components are working correctly separate from your CPU. I'm sure someone far more experienced than myself will chime in at some point sooner or later. Hope you don't have to RMA your chip, but it sounds the case to me thus far.

That’s my initial conclusion as well. But seeing as I’ve already rma’d both the mobo and the cpu once already albeit at different times think I may be getting unpopular with the store. That was for exactly the same symptoms.

For the second board I purchased an A6 processor on the assumption that the bios needed updating to support the 2600x. However I still get the cpu light on the EZ debug leds. Could it be a faulty batch or something more sinister?

Cheers

Scott

No should Work...I fired up the Gaming Plus with the 2600x and at 4.3ghz....running Great. 15843 passmark and stuff. I think that's about the tops. maybe a bad mobo/chip/ram?

No should Work...I fired up the Gaming Plus with the 2600x and at 4.3ghz....running Great. 15843 passmark and stuff. I think that's about the tops. maybe a bad mobo/chip/ram?

To be honest I’m going with the CPU as the issue but how likely is it that there’s a duff batch or that I’ve managed to be given two faulty CPUs?

With the A6 chip I brought to flash the bios I don’t seem to have any issues with it at all and get straight in to setup or bios with no issues.

Have you done any research to find out if others are having this same problem with the newer Ryzen's on that motherboard? Sounds like a compatibility bug to me rather than faulty hardware.

Have you done any research to find out if others are having this same problem with the newer Ryzen's on that motherboard? Sounds like a compatibility bug to me rather than faulty hardware.

Nothing specific but have spent many hours googling “X470 gaming pro and Ryzen 5 issues” and not getting much other than bios or cmos reset procedures to be honest.

Going to ask the store I got them from the check them out on their testing rig and see if they can get it past the CPU check on the EZ debug system.

Store checked them out and seems to be all working fine for them. Was advised to change my PSU as this board needs both the 8 pin and 4 pin cpu power leads plugged in. The new one they advised me to get only had 1 eight pin (4+4) connector.

Have now got myself an EVGA supernova 850 watt PSU and returned the other one to store.

All plugged in but still not getting past the CPU check on the board. When I workbench the board outside the case and take everything off including the RAM I then get just a RAM light on the EZ debug lights. I’m using Adata XPG Spectrix D40 RAM. Just wondering whether there’s an issue with the RAM causing this?

Cheers

Scott.

Have you tried booting it without the cooler installed? What cooler are you using?
The ram shouldn't be an issue, I have tested a 3000 spectrix kit on AM4 and it worked without issue

Have you tried booting it without the cooler installed? What cooler are you using?
The ram shouldn't be an issue, I have tested a 3000 spectrix kit on AM4 and it worked without issue

I’m using the stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 5 2600x. What’s your thoughts there then?

My spectrix is the 2666 16gb kit.

Going to see if I can borrow a stick of ram from a mate and see if that solves anything.

Just wanted to see if the cooler is applying uneven pressure? Not sure but it won't hurt the CPU to boot without the cooler for a short period. Was it the same cooler on the A6?

Just wanted to see if the cooler is applying uneven pressure? Not sure but it won't hurt the CPU to boot without the cooler for a short period. Was it the same cooler on the A6?

I agree with Johan, try at the least loosening the screws that are holding it down. I was having a lot of really strange issues with my 1800x rig and part of it was caused by the heatsink mount.

I agree with Johan, try at the least loosening the screws that are holding it down. I was having a lot of really strange issues with my 1800x rig and part of it was caused by the heatsink mount.

I’ve tried backing the screws off and I also tried the spring clip heat sink that came with the A6 processor which still had the same result. I’ll see what happens with a different stick of ram. I had read somewhere that the 2600x can be picky with what’s its compatible with but I’ve done that much reading up I can’t find the post or which forum that was on. A mates got some ballistix ram which if the part number is correct looks like it’s compatible on their website.

I found the MSI QVL list useless when looking for compatible ram - it lists nothing for Pinnacle Ridge processors. But from looking at the support pages for the memory manufacturers there’s a surprisingly small amount of confirmed ram modules which have been tested as ok on the MSI X470 boards.

I’ve tried backing the screws off and I also tried the spring clip heat sink that came with the A6 processor which still had the same result. I’ll see what happens with a different stick of ram. I had read somewhere that the 2600x can be picky with what’s its compatible with but I’ve done that much reading up I can’t find the post or which forum that was on. A mates got some ballistix ram which if the part number is correct looks like it’s compatible on their website.

I found the MSI QVL list useless when looking for compatible ram - it lists nothing for Pinnacle Ridge processors. But from looking at the support pages for the memory manufacturers there’s a surprisingly small amount of confirmed ram modules which have been tested as ok on the MSI X470 boards.

QVL lists are always very limited because there is no way for the manufacturer's tech department to test every available RAM option out there. In no way should a QVL list be interpreted to mean other options won't work correctly. Have you tried each RAM module in each slot one at a time to eliminate the possibility that one module or one socket may be bad?

Or something with the Ram?. My Gaming Plus booted right up with the EVGA kit and the 2600x, Runs good.

QVL lists are always very limited because there is no way for the manufacturer's tech department to test every available RAM option out there. In no way should a QVL list be interpreted to mean other options won't work correctly. Have you tried each RAM module in each slot one at a time to eliminate the possibility that one module or one socket may be bad?

Certainly have. Tried each stick in each of the four sockets and no joy.

Regarding the QVL lists I get that and fully understand that it would be a huge undertaking to test every possible ram module and configuration but I went on the Corsair memory finder site and they don’t even list a MSI 470 based mobo- nothing above a 370 chipset based on my quick scan down the list. This got me wondering if there are some issues or not?

I'm Thinking something with the Memory/Compatibility as well...That should of fired right up.

Did the guys at the store you took it too get it to fire up using your motherboard and your CPU together in combo or did they test each component separately with other components they had? I still think you need to take your board, CPU and RAM together to them and get them to test it that way. There certainly could be a compatibility issue with the RAM and that combo of board and CPU. It's not common but it does happen.

Back