• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI X470 gaming pro and Ryzen 5 2600X help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did the guys at the store you took it too get it to fire up using your motherboard and your CPU together in combo or did they test each component separately with other components they had? I still think you need to take your board, CPU and RAM together to them and get them to test it that way. There certainly could be a compatibility issue with the RAM and that combo of board and CPU. It's not common but it does happen.

I do..I think it's the ram...it may be listed but it is some suspicious stuff?....You need to buy a cl16 G.skill kit or like the Corsair LPX kit...and if it still don't boot then yeah...mobo or cpu....That would rule that out for sure.

Mines running great...that GX ii Pro 750w Coolermaster fixed some freezing stuff. down to 1.4125v at 4.32ghz...Niceee.

I do..I think it's the ram...it may be listed but it is some suspicious stuff?....You need to buy a cl16 G.skill kit or like the Corsair LPX kit...and if it still don't boot then yeah...mobo or cpu....That would rule that out for sure.

They did check both together but I didn’t think to take my RAM in with me as didn’t think it would be the cause of the CPU problems. However once I started looking in more depth at the QVL lists it got me wondering. It’s not helpful that MSI’s own website doesn’t list any Pinnacle Ridge ram modules at all for the X470 gaming pro mobo. I’ve since acquired some Ballistix Ram modules and on a quick check on my basic setup outside of the case I no longer get the cpu error light (in fact I don’t think I even saw it flash on) the Ram light comes on then goes back out and then lights up permanently on the VGA light as I hadn’t put the graphics card in.

I’ve been too busy with work and family life to progress any further but it’s now starting to look hopeful that my PC I brought back in October will be finally up and running soon [emoji1696].

All I need to do now is see if the retailer will give me some sort of refund for the Adata ram I can’t use although it’s over their 30 day returns for non faulty items - not sure if incompatibility counts as faulty?

Lesson learned here is I won’t simply walk in to a store again and say I want this processor and ask what else they’ve got in stock to go with it. I usually research things to death but on this occasion I was in a rush and wanted everything up and running that weekend to replace my failing and obsolete pc. Although that seems to have come back to life now it’s using the new PSU - it’s on borrowed time though as the mobo drivers are starting to not be supported by Windows 10 and it’s only officially supported to Windows 7 by ASUS.

Thanks for the advice given so far. It’s been very helpful and supportive.

Brief update.

Turns out the Adata ram only works in the secondary slots if I have the Ballistix ram in the primary slots. I’m now considering keeping all 4 sticks of ram for 32gb of ram as I wouldn’t mind keeping the RGB lighting effect to go with the Mobo effects.

Can I expect to get any issues with one pair of 2666 sticks of ram and one pair of 3000 sticks of ram if I install them in their respective paired slots on the board?

Thanks

Scott

it will either work or it wont. give it a try but keep in mind that all 4 will likely default to the slower of the two sets. you may have to set up the timings manually. be sure to set them up according to the slower sets timings and voltage. good luck!

i'd be worried about stability issues with the adata stuff since it was being weird in the first place

Unless you are dealing with mission critical data it wouldn't hurt to run the ADATA in combo with the other just to test. If it's stable with the ADATA in the mix, it's stable. Like maxfly said, the bios will downclock the RAM frequency to that of the slowest pair.

Yeah seems to be a bad combo :-/ It would be very stunning that the 2600x is DOA it should be as said before your psu or maybe the mainboard which doesn't accept this cpu, you should buy a Gigabyte, Asus or Asrock X470 and avoid MSI, that's my case anyway...

Back