• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI X570 Unify do not detect my fan controller.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maculosa

Registered
Hi,

I have a MSI X570 Unify motherboard, in my case i have 7 fans:

1x Exhaust back PWM fan (Directly plugged in system fan 02)
3x Intake side PWM fans plugged into a PWM/RGB controller. (Controller pluggin in system fan 1)
3x Intake bottom PWM fans plugged into a PWM/RGB controller. (Controller pluggin in system fan 3)

As for the RGB everything sync with MB and working fine.

But for the fans, they all work but they are not detected in BIOS, so i can't set their speed.

You can see in my Bios screenshot that only the system fan 2 is detected. (the one that is plugged directly into the MB)
There is nothing in system fan 1 and 3 where is 2 controllers are plugged.

Anything can help?
Thanks

View attachment MSI_SnapShot_00.bmp

If you have fans connected to a PWM controller then why would you need to control those fans from bios? Adjusting the speed of those fans should be done from the controller itself. Or are the controllers only for adjusting the LED lighting effects?

But I'm not sure what you mean by a "controller." Do you mean a PWM hub that allows you to connect several fans to one motherboard header? Can you reference the make and model of the "controller"?

Last edited:
please specify exactly what device you're referring to as the "PWM controller" and everything it's plugged into (USB, power, etc). We don't normally see these plugged into a motherboard fan header unless it's a simple spliter so I'm having a hard time figuring out what is going on.

Sorry, i bought 2x this kit: https://antec.com/product/cooling/prizm-120-argb-5c.php

So, i installed the 2 controller into my case. (Each one has 3 fans plugged into it)

This is what is the controller:

prizm-argb_pdt7.png

I plugged the controller "F" into motherboard JRGB connecter and PWM system fan port.
Set the controller to sync with motherboard but i can't control fan speed but i can control RGB with no problem.

The controller do not have a fan speed setting and for the moment the all 6 fans on the controller are spinning at full speed and make my computer very loud :(

I have something like that on my system but without the LED stuff. It works to the extent that all fans connected to it run at the same speed as controlled by the PWM function in bios. I have to tune it by ear since the RPM report is unreliable, that function being very confused by the multiple fans connected, as it were, to the same header. Really, mine is just a hub (i.e., a splitter) and in reality, yours is as well but with the addition of LED control. But if your bios can't detect the hub you can't control the speed of the fans. I would contact Antec about this and see if they have any suggestions.

The write up for the controller never actually says it will enable you to control fan speeds. It talks a lot about lighting control but the closest it comes to speed control is F where it says "and PWM functions".

If you have fans connected to a PWM controller then why would you need to control those fans from bios? Adjusting the speed of those fans should be done from the controller itself. Or are the controllers only for adjusting the LED lighting effects?

But I'm not sure what you mean by a "controller." Do you mean a PWM hub that allows you to connect several fans to one motherboard header? Can you reference the make and model of the "controller"?

He may be using something similar to me where the PWM fans are connected to the fan controller, and the RPM sensor from one of the connected fans is then passed onto the motherboard/BIOS via motherboard connector. The fan curve for that connection controls ALL fans on the fan hub...

Something like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077YHLDSP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071KNT7FW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Didn't scroll far enough down to see his link to the Antec unit.

Both of the above-listed units allow you to control up to 10 fans based on the fan curve of the fan connected to port 1

The manual shows that F is a two part cable, one connector for PWM and one for aRGB. The cable that plugs into a fan header should have only two wires. One of these is going to report or repeat the RPM signal for one of the fan slots, the other is going to send the PWM signal back to the controller. If the motherboard does not get an RPM signal from the controller, then it will not return a PWM signal.

I would suggest first verify the orientation and connection of a fan cable with 2/4 wires present to the motherboard header. You mention that only 3/5 slots are populated on the controller. I would then suggest testing each of the fan/PWM ports (A) on the Antec controller to see if any of them return an RPM signal to the motherboard. (Of course power the system off before switching ports).

Is it possible to select system fan 1 or 3 in the BIOS at this state? If so I would also verify that they are set to PWM and not DC mode. DC mode will vary the current provided through the 12V and ground wires that are not connected to the controller and thus do nothing. The fact that you don't have any RPM reading though makes me think it's a problem with the controller not passing the RPM back to the board rather than this.

I took a look at the manual and I don't see any mention of a specific port being populated, but it is also sold as a 5 fan kit, so they may have assumed that all 5 ports would be populated. I would also try populating all 5 ports with one controller, if testing each port individually does not work. I did notice this however: "To be in sync with the mainboard, press“mode”bottom for 5 seconds after connecting the cable". Did you complete this step?

Thanks for the answer but i think i have found what is the problem. (i will try tonigh if it fix it).

I plugged my case led strip to the ARGB port #1 on the hub but nothing into the PWM port #1, and then i plugged the 3 fans PWM/ARGB to ports #2,3 and 4.
Maybe only the hub PWM port #1 can get the signal from the motherboard. ANTEC do not specify that anywhere but i have seen that's the case with some others hub brands.

I will move the FANs into the hub port #1,2,3 tonight to see if it will fix the problem. (will put led strip to #4)

Thanks for the answer but i think i have found what is the problem. (i will try tonigh if it fix it).

I plugged my case led strip to the ARGB port #1 on the hub but nothing into the PWM port #1, and then i plugged the 3 fans PWM/ARGB to ports #2,3 and 4.
Maybe only the hub PWM port #1 can get the signal from the motherboard. ANTEC do not specify that anywhere but i have seen that's the case with some others hub brands.

I will move the FANs into the hub port #1,2,3 tonight to see if it will fix the problem. (will put led strip to #4)

Yes, I think this is a common arrangement.

FIXED! That was the problem, i needed to have a fan plugged in port 1.
Goes in bios set fans to PWM and Smart Mode.

But now fans always goes up and down, i just used the defaut fan curves. i suppose i just have to tweak it to prevent that.
Any tips ?

What component did you tie the PWM curve too? CPU? Mosfets? It's normal for the fans to go up and down with respect to the temperature of the component the PWM curve is tied to. That is the point of PWM. If you don't like that then take it off of SMART fan and set it to a fixed speed. In my bios I have the option of not using PWM to control fan speed but voltage instead.

Back