• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiplayer: PC Gaming vs. Xbox Live Gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamer004

I am thinking about buying a gaming PC. I currently have Xbox Live and like it, but i don't know if i'm wiling to shel out $2000 (ibuypower) for a thing that is almost the same as Xbox Live. I played Desert Combat on my Family's PC and like PC games. I mostly Like FPS so either way it's not type of game i like.

whats better and what will better in the years coming?

Pouey

Nothing will ever top PC gaming online. The xbox can't even compare, think about upcoming pc games online....Counterstrike and Day of defeat on the HL2 engine will be amazing. Forget the xbox.

drenader

Didn't he just list some? Doom3 is coming out and Counter Strike 2 ad all the rest of the games that use the halflife 2 engine. And a lot more to come with all the new advances in graphic engines.

Dre
PC all the way, even though xbox is still fun among friends, nothing is like a good ol' madden torny on the ol' xbox or ps2.

Shuzzy

this is not even a contest. pc online gaming experience blows away the xbox. doom3 and hl2 are gonna be ridiculous.

Pouey

Not to mention battlefield 2 looks like a war movie, and with up to a hundred people in some maps, it will be excellent!

twEEkerAreUs

DOOM 3 & BATTLEFIELD 2 :drool: That should be MORE then enough reasons to go PC Haha. I see it like this, I use my computer for just about everything "College, Work, Audio/Image/Video Editing, Music, Daily Internet Use, Communication, Gaming, Etc"

The big factor is that you can do so many things on a computer including gaming unlike the Xbox strictly made for gaming only. Regardless the specs on the Xbox are going to restrict any massive multiplayer games anyways if that is your thing and or "Extreme Graphics".

$2000 for a PC? Must be one heck of a PC then. You can build an amazing computer right now for under $1500 with ease, that is if you want to build your own.

OP
gamer004

gamer004

I would rather just buy. This would be my first PC and i would like to just buy it instead of build. Also, ibuypower i can get a good one.

OP
gamer004

gamer004

Also, the only good multiplayer PC games i see coming otu are...

Doom 3
Hl2
Bf2
Cs2

Just doesn't seem like a lot

drenader

Just as many plus more games that come out on xbox are available on PC. And PC normally has added features that thexbox just doesnt.

Also how about a link to this $2000 pc from ibuypower or system specs? We could tell ya what ya need and at ya wouldnt need.

Miralcos

If you can, go to Best Buy and walk down the PC game isle. There are more games there than you will ever be able to play. Unless your main function in life is to play games. :) There's also no comparison IMO as far as graphics go.

KfistoRok

Many of you listed Doom and HL2.

Do you even know these will be on the xbox and live compatible?

Doom will even feature co-op you can play over live with a buddy.

gamer004 go with whichever you think you would use more I say.

If you enjoy to spend more time in front in front of the tube in your easy chair or on teh couch with your friends I would say consider the xbox. Also, think about the last major game Valve created. CS. That game on pc is full of half the cheaters in the world. You enjoy getting beat by someone running a trainer? Also, I guarantee you won't have any compatibility issues playing on an xbox. You don't have to worry will my xbox handle this game? PC on the other hand, look at all the threads worried about their comp handling the min requirements. Also, do you have surroud sound? I've read a lot has gone into the sound and imagine how great it would be on your big tv with dolby digital.

Biggest draw to the comp gaming is the mods. There are some goods ones that come out. Also, if you got a state of the art rig you can enjoy the eye candy, but at a large cost.

Me, I think it's pretty clear to you all I'm getting the Xbox version.

Banyan

just look at the xbox live titles, that can usuyally only handle 8 ppl per map... vs the pc, some games up to 150.

KfistoRok

Say what? What game besides planetside is a fps that handles 150 people?

Halo 2 can support 16 easily and they are prolly going to make it available to more at the same time.

Also, its ps2 that can only support a weak amount of online gamers at a time.

Banyan

KfistoRok said:
Say what? What game besides planetside is a fps that handles 150 people?

joint operations can handle 150 ppl... atm i get xbn + 1-2 other mags and i never see any games on xbl that can handle more than 16 or so and 16 is a stretch. even bf2 on xbox (in xbn) states it will accomodate i think 12 players on a map.

Mr.Guvernment

Also dont forget ALLLL of the other things you can use a PC for that you cant as well or as easily on a Xbox :)

then there is simply the issue of grpahics - doesnt Xbox us a Modified Gforce 3 card? How old are those thing? now way in HECK they can look nearly as good as a new en 6800GT or x800pro :d

KfistoRok

Banyan said:
joint operations can handle 150 ppl... atm i get xbn + 1-2 other mags and i never see any games on xbl that can handle more than 16 or so and 16 is a stretch. even bf2 on xbox (in xbn) states it will accomodate i think 12 players on a map.

Please before your next post, make sure you know what you are talking about. ;)

"Battlefield: Modern Combat for Xbox enables up to 24 players to engage in all-out war on the modern battlefields of the world..."

Source

Mr.Guvernment said:
Also dont forget ALLLL of the other things you can use a PC for that you cant as well or as easily on a Xbox :)

then there is simply the issue of grpahics - doesnt Xbox us a Modified Gforce 3 card? How old are those thing? now way in HECK they can look nearly as good as a new en 6800GT or x800pro :d

Yes we know all the other things a pc can do, but we aren't really talking about that. :p

They can look as good on a HDTV or any other reasonably big television, that you would be more comfortable sitting in front of, instead of your pc chair and 17" or whatever monitor all night. :p

Last edited:

YellowDart

I agree w/ kfistorok. If you like playin on the couch w/ some buds, go 4 an xbox. But if you want some serious power, graphics, etc, then go get a new pc. Either choice is good imo. I guess it really just boils down to how much money you have.

xbl does have some perks that pc's won't. You've got a universal in-engine buddy-list and per-game ranking system. Quick match functionality as well. And most importantly, xbl will have Halo 2. ;)