• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Multiple 400 Gig HD's and windows server 2003?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skahtul

I am about to order parts for a file server, I just wanted to make sure of one fact.

The system will be running Windows Server 2003 "enterprise" with an x2 core Operton setup and 4 gigs of ram. Just wanted to make sure that there would not be any problems with the hard drives. I will have a 200 Gig or so on one of the IDE's for the OS, then I will have 4 x 400 Gig HD's on the SATA controllers. Just wanted to know if there was any problems addressing that much storage. I have never built a rig with that many drives. I forget the max partition size for NTFS, I think it is pretty large though.

THANKS!!

OP
skahtul

skahtul

JCLW said:
NTFS max partition size is 2TB so you should be OK.

Cool, I thought it was something like that. For my application I did not want to have to partition them out into multiple drives.

bri1 said:
damn what you storing?

Oh, you would be surprised. I forgot to mention that this is not for me, and I am building two of them. I work for a local univesrity at a facility where they do geological research. These are just file servers for a ll of the different users, who have alot of data. Actually, to backup all of the servers we have a 32 TB tape backup system that we are going to switch to a disk to disk to tape backup.